Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slide Show Software

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
davidknibb

Slide Show Software

#1 Post by davidknibb »

For ages I've used Windows Software to create slide shows, with music, from my .JPG files.
In my quest to move complately away from Windows to Linux, good s/w to do this seems to be the last impediment in the way.
I've tried Digikam (Create MPEG Slide show) with the kipi plugins - and it seems to be buggy and always crashes.
I've tried QDVDauthor - and that too seems to crash.

I'm running Sarge Stable, with various updates from Testing, Unstable and Experimental.

What experiences do other people have please ? Is there something you reckon I'm missing ??

Or is there another s/w package out there I've missed.

Thanks a lot for all ideas.

David

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by Scotti »

What about OpenOffice Impress? I'm not overly familure with the software but I do believe it does slide shows.

Here's something I found with a search: Slideshow Creator

davidknibb

#3 Post by davidknibb »

Thanks.

In the end, I got digikam working.

It failed because I was using the most recent versions of 'libmpegtools' - which seems to have a known bug - so I read.

So I tracked down a previous version and downgraded from the newer to the older version and hey presto, it works.

david

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

I use Gqview for slide show. It works so well! :D

#5 Post by Guest »

Gwenview is my favorite (+kipi)
batch processing ( fe rename very usefull )
find duplicate, mpeg slideshow, export to html etc

dawgie

#6 Post by dawgie »

If you have imagemagick installed you can display a slideshow with this command:
$ animate -delay 2000 /path/to/images/
(to slideshow a directory with 20 second display of each image)
to do this full screen use -backdrop:
$ animate -backdrop -delay 2000 /path/to/images/

<ctrl><q> to exit

davidknibb

#7 Post by davidknibb »

Thanks for your replies - what I'm after is software to CREATE slide shows - not display them.
I'm refering to the KIPI pluigin 'Create MPEG SlideShow' under Tools.
As I said, I've got Digikam to work by installing a previous edition of the library files. But it is still very rudimentary and I wonder if there is anything more sophisitcated out there.

David

dramac

#8 Post by dramac »

I use cinelerra to create slideshows with transitions and music on DVDs. It's the same principle as using Premiere, if you have ever used that, except you would be dragging pics into the timeline instead of video clips. I don't know what you used in Windows, but this might be more involved than what you might be looking for. There is probably an easier method in linux to do what I do, but I prefer the greater control I have over the final product with a nonlinear video editor.

glf2818

Slide Show Software

#9 Post by glf2818 »

davidknibb
O.K. upfront--I'm so blank I don't know why "create
a slideshow" requires special software.
I use zgv for slideshows. If I wanted to make up a new
slideshow (hasn't happened yet), I would just mkdir newslideshow and copy whatever images I wanted to it.
You have to be root to run zgv under X. It has many options listed in its manpage.
If you want a slideshow where you decide manually when to go to the next slide, just use xzgv. You can adjust it so the thumbnails don't show by clicking at the bottom right of the thumbnail column and dragging to the left. Spacebar to advance, q to quit. z to fit image to screen.
If the order of the images matters (seems like it might), you change the name of your images as you cp them so they end up in order /f1.jpg,/f2.jpg,... .
Its very simple, but I think you will like it if you try it.
George

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#10 Post by dnusinow »

Why on earth do you have to be root to run an image display software in X? That's insane.
David Nusinow

glf2818

Slide Show Software

#11 Post by glf2818 »

dnusinow
Why on earth do you have to be root to run an image display software in X? That's insane.
I have no idea. zgv is supposed to be run on console.
xzgv for X.
If you try running zgv in X as user, it says
you must be the owner of the current console to run zgv

I used to run zgv on console F1, but with my new system it acts very weird when I try to exit.
When I got the above message, I tried running it as root and it works fine.
I'm using Gnome and usually have user stuff going on on three sections and root on the other so its no big deal to me.
George :wink:

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#12 Post by dnusinow »

A good rule of thumb is to not be root unless you have to be. Being root to display images in a slideshow is just madness. If all you want is to display images dropped in a directory, you can pair imagemagick with a shell one-liner anyway and run it as an ordinary user.
David Nusinow

davidknibb

#13 Post by davidknibb »

Thanks for the answers. Firstly, I've not heard before of ZGF - so I'll try to find out.

The reason why I have always used 'special' software - to answer the question is because it provides a whole host of utilities.
If you look at 'make mpeg slide show' in the Kipi plugins to Digikam or similar, that have some options like how long each picture is show, transition effect from one picture to the next, conversion to a video format, adding audio etc, but it is fairly limited - some of the good peices of s/w running under windows offer a whole variety of effects and options - and it was this sort of thing I was trying to find in Linux.
Thanks for the reference to Cinelerra - I'll try that out.

David