Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mail Server Problems

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ReddiePenguin

Mail Server Problems

#1 Post by ReddiePenguin »

I have tried to setup a Linux Mail server just for testing for a while. I have Debian currently installed.

Now I am not actually new to Linux as in never really used Linux before, I've worked with tons of Linux Distros from Slackware, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo (stage 1), SuSe, and more. The only thing I am a tad bit new to really is setting up an email server.

What I am looking for is a newbie type setup for an email server because every other howto I have found either messes up my machine because it turns out to be an old howto which is outdated or is missing a bunch of steps or it's for the wrong distro.

I have Debian Sarge 3.1 installed right now and my web server (Apache) works very nicely.

All I really want is SMTP, POP3, and Webmail to start out with. Then hopefully at the end add SpamAssassin and ClamAV at the end.

Thanks in advanced.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

Some pointers to some collection of software that would worK:
exim4 (default in Debian, native hooks for clamav and spamassassin)
dovecot (decent imap/pop3 server)
squirrelmail (webmail program)

For mail filtering, I use clamav, greylistd, and spamassassin, all plugged into exim directly.

The trickiest part is getting your mailserver setup correct, make sure you understand very well the configuration of the MTA (mail transfer agent) of your choice. You can read my own mail config for exim4 over here: http://www.wolffelaar.nl/~jeroen/exim4.conf , but beware, it's both a bit messy, and uses a lot of tricks and neat things, so might come over quite overwhelming at first. The Exim docs themselves are quite good and I suggest looking there.