Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sound recording problem

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Rockbell

Sound recording problem

#1 Post by Rockbell »

Hello! I have a Creative SoundBlaster Live! card, configured with ALSA. I wanted to record an audio sample from a video, so I used sound-recorder while playing my video but all I got was a wav file with no sound. I used the following command:

sound-recorder -c 2 -b 16 -A /dev/dsp -f wav audio.wav

I also used /dev/audio as the device parameter with no results. I even tried using arecord but it didn't work again. What could be the problem? Could someone helpe me please?

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

Where do you play the video? In your computer or in another device attached to it?

Rockbell

#3 Post by Rockbell »

I play it on my computer.
But I just figured what was the problem! It was an improper input-gain adjustment. The problem was that whenever I set the in-gain volume I was getting a terrible high pitch noise, so I had to turn it off, which was causing the no sound record problem. The trick is to decrease the PCM control, so to stop the high pitch noise, and increase the Volume control. Now the recording is working fine! :)