Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

apt-get -f install is failing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Eric Marsh

apt-get -f install is failing

#1 Post by Eric Marsh »

Somehow my dependencies seem to have become damaged. I've tried apt-get -f install and am getting the output below. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how I can get back on track?

--------------

153 upgraded, 48 newly installed, 16 to remove and 382 not upgraded.
373 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/124MB of archives.
After unpacking 92.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 135865 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace knode 4:3.2.2-2 (using .../knode_4%3a3.4.3-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement knode ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/knode_4%3a3.4.3-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/apps/knode/pics/key_ok.png', which is also in package libkdenetwork2
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Preparing to replace kmail 4:3.2.2-2 (using .../kmail_4%3a3.4.3-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kmail ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kmail_4%3a3.4.3-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/apps/kmail/pics/key_ok.png', which is also in package libkdenetwork2
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/knode_4%3a3.4.3-1_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/kmail_4%3a3.4.3-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
dogbert:/etc/apt#

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

If you have to run "apt-get -f install", it usually means that there is a problem with your sources. Please, write your sources.list here, as well as what you tried to do before you had to run apt-get -f install.

One last thing.
You have cross-posted this question here and to "Installation". I removed the other one, but please, don't post your question twice. If you didn't get an answer in, say, a day, it doesn't necessarily means they you won't have an answer at all. What it DO mean, however, that posting the same question again will yield no additional results.