Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Compiling and Installing Local Source Files with Apt

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bjr87

Compiling and Installing Local Source Files with Apt

#1 Post by bjr87 »

How do I install a program for source using apt, where I already have the source file located locally (e.g. in /home/username ion the hard drive) on my machine?

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

To install a program from source, you unpack the tarball, do ./configure followed by make followed by make install. You must be root to do make install.

lacek

#3 Post by lacek »

Have a look at the checkinstall package. In my opinion it is better than doing "make install", since it makes a debian package from the installed things. The package itself is bare enough, it doesn't have depedencies and the like, but at least when you try to remove/upgrade your program, you can do it with dpkg, and you can be sure that nothing is left when you purge the program.
You use the checkinstall program just like Harold said, except that run "checkinstall" instead of "make install". This will make and install a debian package.