Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Aptitude wants to remove all of gnome

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bugsbunny

Re: Aptitude wants to remove all of gnome

#16 Post by bugsbunny »

does "turn off the auto-install" refer to the same thing as "mark the package as manually installed" or are they two different things?
The same thing.
If I decide that I want to clean all that up by removing gnome and restarting with gnome-core, etc, will I have trouble starting X after removing gnome and before I get a chance to install gnome-core? Or will I be installing gnome-core, etc from the terminal with apt-get?
X will probably start just fine. You won't have a window manager though and may find it difficult to actually do anything with it (unless you also had something else installed, like xfce or openbox, or any available (there's lots of them) window manager.

However you can easily install from the command line. I'd use aptitude rather than apt-get - but that's my preference.

vitotol

#17 Post by vitotol »

ok guys, this thing is really annoying. i made that mistake, installed squeeze and i marked the Desktop Environment.
Now i just want to uninstall empathy because i use pidgin. But i don't, cause it's going to be removed the gnome desktop as well.
if i get it well i had to mark the gnome desktop as manually installed.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark unmarkauto gnome-desktop-environment
is this the solution to my problem ?
And I only get my rocks off while I'm dreaming,
I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeping.

bugsbunny

#18 Post by bugsbunny »

That won't work. First of all the command would be (if it would work, which it won't):

# aptitude unmarkauto gnome-desktop-environment
(I don't know this sudo of which you speak :), but it would have to be run as root)

In order to use unmarkauto you would have to flag every package that is a dependency of gnome-desktop-environment. Furthermore you'd have an additional problem since gnome-desktop-environment is a hard dependency of gnome (assuming the gnome package was installed).

You basically have 2 fairly simple solutions. The one that I would use myself (because overall I like metapackages and the way they work and like to preserve the autoremoval aspects) is:
1) Install the equivs package

# aptitude install equivs
2) To get a clue of what the program does and how
a) Read the README.Debian file and look at the examples in the examples subdirectory of /usr/share/doc/equivs/
b) read the man pages for equivs-control and equivs-build

The documentation is rather short, so it shouldn't take you long.

3) Create a directory. I'll assume ~/source/equivs/fakeempathy

mkdir -p ~/source/equivs/fakeempathy
4) Change to that directory and create the template

cd ~/source/equivs/fakeempathy
equivs-control fakeempathy
This will create a file within that directory named fakeempathy. Edit that file with the text editor of your choice, Change (uncomment as needed) the following lines:

Package: fakeempathy
Depends: pidgin
Provides: empathy
Replaces: empathy
Architecture: all
Description: Replace empathy with pidgin 
That's all. You can change the Description if you want, and you can probably leave out the Depends: line, in which case you won't force an install of pidgin, but still allow for empathy's removal.
5) Create the deb package

equivs-build fakeempathy
That will create a deb package within the current directory.
6) Install the deb package using either gdebi or dpkg

# dpkg -i fakeempathy_1.0_all.deb
That should do the trick (although I haven't specifically tested this). Method 2, on the other hand, is quicker and simpler - but you'll lose autoremoval for a lot of the packages and defeat the benefits of having metapackages in the first place:
1)

# apt-get remove empathy
# aptitude keep-all
Done

Just one further note - you can use equivs to create your own metapackages if you want.

emariz

#19 Post by emariz »

vitotol wrote:Now i just want to uninstall empathy because i use pidgin. But i don't, cause it's going to be removed the gnome desktop as well.
You do not seem to have the knowledge or the will to learn how to deal with meta-packages and hence you should keep everything installed. Remove the menu entries of the applications that you do not use and install those that you do. You might need to define a preferred application, but that is it.
Another issue might be Gnash against Adobe's Flash, whose usages conflict with each other, notwithstanding what the package manager says, but one can disable the plug-ins within the browser's preferences.

vitotol

#20 Post by vitotol »

thank you very much bugsbunny. i'll try the 1st way.
And I only get my rocks off while I'm dreaming,
I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeping.

Klear

#21 Post by Klear »

hank you, I wasn't sure if it was a package that was entirely necessary or not. I also noticed that a few packages needed me to remove gnome-desktop-environment - I went ahead anyway and nothings gone boom yet. =D

sundai321

#22 Post by sundai321 »

When I typed sudo aptitude reinstall gnome-core it said not installed, so i'm installing it now.
This is actually a server install, but I installed gnome for the sake of usability.. It was all working fine before though.
Anyway, hopefully this'll sort it

elemenophee

#23 Post by elemenophee »

I just ran aptitude keep-all, then tried to uninstall any single program of gnome (for example brasero) and still I'm getting the gnome gnome-core task-gnome-desktop dependencies

adenukolnis

#24 Post by adenukolnis »

apt-get remove unwanted_program
then
aptitude keep-all

or even better

apt-get remove unwanted_program
then
aptitude reinstall wanted_program1 wanted_program2 wanted_program3 wanted_program4
then
apt-get autoremove

Caitlin

#25 Post by Caitlin »

Every now and then someone "discovers" this problem. This is how I solved it.

First of all, I installed Debian from the DVD. I don't remember installing Gnome separately, or being given any options on what parts of it to install. So I got the whole constellation of software, and had to remove what I DIDN'T want later.

Apparently the Gnomemakers take a lot of pride in being able to provide "their own" apps, like Epiphany (Gnome's own web browser), gedit (Gnome's own text editor), Nautilus (Gnome's own file manager), and Rhythmbox and Banshee (Gnome's own music players). They are so certain that every Gnome user wants "Gnome's own" everything that you get them without asking for them and if you want to remove any piece of it later, it's difficult.

The packages "gnome", "gnome-core", and "gnome-desktop-environment" are NOT software packages. They are metapackages that install other packages. One advantage is that it makes it easier to install the whole constellation, because you don't have to ask for each one individually. But it's a package deal, pun intended -- if you try to remove any piece, it assumes you want the whole constellation removed.

The solution? Break the dependencies. "Keep-all" will do that, but as it was pointed out, it's a shotgun approach where a scalpel is called for.

So try this: in a root terminal, enter:

aptitude unmarkauto '?reverse-depends(gnome) | ?reverse-recommends(gnome)'
aptitude unmarkauto '?reverse-depends(gnome-core) | ?reverse-recommends(gnome-core)'
aptitude unmarkauto '?reverse-depends(gnome-desktop-environment) | ?reverse-recommends(gnome-desktop-environment)'
aptitude purge gnome gnome-desktop-environment gnome-core

The above will NOT de-install any part of Gnome or any part of it's constellation. All it will do is allow you to then remove pieces of same WITHOUT trashing your system.

Having done so, you can then strip away the unwanted software. (Although I seem to remember a problem getting rid of Rhythmbox. It kept asking me if I wanted to install Banshee instead. Duh! NO!!)

I'm working on a better solution to this problem but it's going to be a long-term project.

Caitlin

elemenophee

#26 Post by elemenophee »

I managed to remove everything except evolution-base-server or something like that (i'm on phone right now). If i want to remove that package it removes the gnome-shell and session packages.

All packages marked as manual installed but still dependencies problem between those packages.

Sent through Tapatalk