GVFS broken?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

GVFS broken?

Postby epic_fail » 2009-05-31 16:46

Hey all,

I just switched from openSUSE to Debian and I'm verry happy with my current system - everything works but unfortunately GVFS not. I used to use "connect to server" in GNOME to mount my server's samba share. Then, automagically a directory appeared under ~/.gvfs mounted to that share. In debian this is not the case anymore. The share does appear on the desktop and I can browse it with nautilus. But that stupid directory in ~/.gvfs is just not appearing. So I cannot use the command line for modifying files on that share. I also tried gvfs-mount, but still no luck.

What has happened to GVFS?

I am running Debian testing/squeeze by the way. In my virtual machine I also installed Debian and upgraded to unstable, and there it seems to be fixed. But I'm not going to upgrade to unstable to fix it. Is there a possibility that I can use the newer GVFS from unstable? Or is there another possibility to mount my samba share to a directory? It has to be versatile, since the share is not always available.

I would be very happy if anyone could help me on this, since it is very frustrating :( .
epic_fail

Re: GVFS broken?

Postby smallchange » 2009-05-31 18:16

Try
Code: Select all
df
or
mount
. That will show you which filesystems are mounted where. You will probably find that your smb share is mounted somewhere, maybe under /media?
smallchange

Postby epic_fail » 2009-05-31 18:31

smallchange wrote:Try
df
or
mount
. That will show you which filesystems are mounted where. You will probably find that your smb share is mounted somewhere, maybe under /media?

It is mounted nowhere it seems, but still I can access it with nautilus and there is an icon on my desktop :? . I already found a workaround by the way (mount with smbfs) but it isn't really usable. This strange problem is happening too on a brand new debian stable install on my laptop. I also tested Ubuntu, it is there just fine. The share is automatically mounted to a directory inside ~/.gvfs in Ubuntu like it should.

Strange, strange, strange :? . It has to do something with gvfs on Debian..
epic_fail

Postby epic_fail » 2009-06-01 13:34

Bump :(
epic_fail

Postby gnudude » 2009-06-01 13:48

pssst.....just because something is done differently doesn't mean something is wrong or broken.

If you must have that behavior and the packages from unstable provide it then the answer is obvious.

There are other ways to mount a share but I do not know if they meet your requirements. You can use a network browser that mounts shares. If you are using 'connect to server' then you must know when the share is available so you should have no problem mounting it via the command line.
gnudude

Postby epic_fail » 2009-06-01 14:45

gnudude wrote:pssst.....just because something is done differently doesn't mean something is wrong or broken.

If you must have that behavior and the packages from unstable provide it then the answer is obvious.

There are other ways to mount a share but I do not know if they meet your requirements. You can use a network browser that mounts shares. If you are using 'connect to server' then you must know when the share is available so you should have no problem mounting it via the command line.

I currently use mount and smbfs, what works just fine but it isn't that nice as "connect to server" in gnome. But anyways, my problem is some kind of fixed using this workaround.

If someone comes up with a solution to fix the GVFS directory not mounting, it would be nice. But I can live with my current set-up I think.
epic_fail

Postby John Talbut » 2009-06-07 10:47

Do you have gvfs-backends installed?
John Talbut

Postby pendrachken » 2009-06-09 06:40

If the mount command works out for you just make some simple little bash scripts for mounting your SMB shares with your options and throw it in your $PATH. That all I do for the most part at home, I name them mount.$SHARENAME and have them all mount to ~/samba/$SHARENAME. Works out pretty nice, just remember to set up your mount options for your users UID and GID so you don't need to be root to write to your shares. Then it is a simple su / sudo mount.$SHARENAME and you are ready to go.

This shouldn't be a problem ( and it saves a step, you don't have to do the connect to thing in the GUI )

the options for user writing would be as follows ( edited for your user of course ) we will call this user bob.
As root:
mount //192.168.x.xxx/share /home/bob/samba/share -o uid=bob,gid=bob

as a simple template for a bash script:
nano mount.YOURSHARENAME
 #!/bin/bash

mount //(samba server name or IP)/(share name)  /(your mount point) -o uid=(your user name),gid=(your username)

Change the server / share paths mount points and uid / gid options to suit your setup and save the file. Now run:
chmod +x mount.YOURSHARENAME

then

mv mount.YOURSHARENAME /bin
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P
pendrachken

Postby julian67 » 2009-06-09 07:18

Actually gvfs was horribly broken for a long time and Debian is several versions behind Ubuntu.....and you know how it goes with bug reports in many projects: fix the next version, screw the old one, no backporting of fixes.

Ubuntu over several releases (I think 8.04 and 8.10) had gvfs broken and was notorious for broken Samba browsing, broken sshfs and other fuse file systems and some other excitement too.

Probably you need the various workarounds outlined by other posters here until Gnome 2.26.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
julian67

Postby yvasilev » 2009-09-23 15:26

Hi,

You have to install gvfs-fuse and add yourself to the fuse group

sudo aptitude install gvfs-fuse
sudo gpasswd -s ${USERNAME} fuse

then logout and login again.

Yuri
yvasilev

Postby redDEADresolve » 2010-01-07 13:55

It's now Jan 2010 and gvfs is still not working quite right in Debian Squeeze. It fails to mount my samba shares. It asks for my username, domain and password then resets itself asking for the 3 again. It also does the same with gigolo. Anyone find a fix? got any ideas?

I installed gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse samba smbfs fusesmb
added myself to the gvfs user group and restarted.
redDEADresolve

Postby John Talbut » 2010-01-07 15:49

I have had problems over some time with using nautilus for ftp. At first I was pointed in the direction of gvfs-backends, which is needed with Gnome migrating from Gnomevfs to gvfs. This solved the problem for a while, but it has come back on one computer, my others are working fine (all using the latest Squeeze packages). On the one that is giving problems, when I try to connect to a server I get

Could not display "ftp://xxxx@www.xxxx.org.uk/".
Error: Unable to create socket: Invalid argument
Please select another viewer and try again.

None of the relevant packages I have installed on the computers seem to be any different. gvfs-fuse does not deem to be necessary, it is not installed on the computer that works and installing it on the other one does not make any difference. The two things left that are or may be different are configurations and the kernel. The one that is not working is using a 2.6.26 kernel and the ones that are working are on 2.6.30.

John
John Talbut

Postby TheExplorer » 2010-06-07 11:44

yvasilev wrote:Hi,
sudo aptitude install gvfs-fuse
sudo gpasswd -s ${USERNAME} fuse

then logout and login again.
Yuri

The command should be with -a option in order to add a user:

sudo gpasswd -a ${USERNAME} fuse

Anyway, thank you very much, you helped me with my problem here.
Money is the evil of all root. Be free. Use Linux.
TheExplorer

Return to General Questions