Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Downloading Packages / Updates from Debian Website?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
John Biles

Downloading Packages / Updates from Debian Website?

#1 Post by John Biles »

Hello Everyone,
As i couldn't get my modem working with Debian, my computer remains dual boot with "Windows XP" and "Debian" so at least i can download new or updated Packages through "Windows" and burn them on a CD to transfer to Debian.
My Question is there an expected time on when we will be able to download Packages / Updates from the Debian Website which is being updated and asks that you search Google for updates.

:?:

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

If you go to this webpage, you could notice that the last 2 links are iso images with recent updates that are available in iso format from Debian.

Does it answer your question?

John Biles

#3 Post by John Biles »

Hello domecq,
The Debian website download area won't allow anyone to download single Packages because their being migrated or something like that.
I am on dialup and don't want to have to download 500-600magabits of data just to get 1 package.
What I am asking is does anyone know when the so called migration will finish and we can start downloading separate packages again from Debian. :?:

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

Hmmm... sorry, I didn't understand exactly what you asked before.

If you're looking for a single package to download, here's what you can do, go to this page: http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and enter the name of the package you're looking for in the search field under the section "Search package directories" (if you need, you have a few options there to narrow your search or change to another distribution that is not the default - stable). Then, you'll be provided with a name or more that matches your search request. Click on the on the available link under the name (e.g. "stable" if you chose "stable" for distribution, then that's the link you'll get), and finally, click on the link for the architecture (e.g. "i386").

I just tried and it's working.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

domecq

UPDATE: by the way, I thought you could find this site useful.

John Biles

#5 Post by John Biles »

Thank you I'll Try it :D