Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help for Bootloader

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dl2hbe

Help for Bootloader

#1 Post by dl2hbe »

Hi, I'm new on this forum and on Debian Linux OS.
A friend of me installed Debian Linux and Windows 2000 on two different HD.
A Bootloader asks before starting wether start with Linux or with Win 2000.

Now I will put the HD with Debian (plus Bootloader) into an other PC and keep the second HD (with Win 2000) in the current PC.

But when I seperat the (Boot) HD an Error Message comes up like follows:
GRUB
Loading Error 21.

The Win 2000 will not start.

My question is what must I do to remove the Bootloader and make the (Windowss)-HD again bootable without new installation Win 2000 and keep the Debian HD also bootable for the other PC ?

I am absolute new with Linux.

Thanks in advance
Helmut

Ryujin

#2 Post by Ryujin »

Does the Debian HD work?
And for windows you need to boot with your windows 2000 CD and get to a rescue prompt (NT shell) and restore the MBR with the FIXBOOT or the FIXMBR commands, if that dosen't work you can boot windows with grub (a lot of embeded windows systems use Grub or lilo)
but this can be tricky because you need a /boot partition running a linux file system. Good Luck
The only way to aggrandize oneself is to aggrandize others.
-Joseph Smith

dl2hbe

Thanks for help. Works well now !

#3 Post by dl2hbe »

Hi Ryujin,

that's what I'm looking for. Both Debian and Windows is now running separately on different HS, as I want it.
Thanks for your help.
Helmut