Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

lock icon on image file in file browser

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
brian

lock icon on image file in file browser

#1 Post by brian »

Hello, brand new to debian. :-) what a nice change. I am curious about the little lock icon that displays in the top right corner of my jpeg files in the file browser. What is this telling me and why?

thanks so much for any replies.

simen

#2 Post by simen »

The lock means that you don't have write access to the files in question. My guess is that you pulled your images off a cd or something, and that their ownerships/permissions are jumbled up. You may want to straighten things up. In a terminal:

$ cd /path/to/files/
$ su -c 'chown <your_user_name> *.jpg'
$ <root's password>
$ chmod 644 *.jpg

I hope you'll enjoy Debian!

--Simen

brian

#3 Post by brian »

yup! that's just how it happened. I appreciate your reply. I will try what you have suggested.

thanks again.

brian

#4 Post by brian »

following up, I couldn't get that string to work...:-( Probably I don't know enough about the terminal yet and wasn't doing something right.

However, what did work was to right click the file, choose properties and put a check in the box for "write"

lock-be-gone.......viola :-)

thanks!

brian

#5 Post by brian »

oops, should have previewed my post.

add..... choose permissions tab (after properties) and then... the checkbox