apt-get upgrade erroring out

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

apt-get upgrade erroring out

Postby catfive » 2009-07-16 15:59

Hello everyone.

I like to be a self-service troubleshooter, but this is one I can't google my way out of, and don't know what tools to use to troubleshoot it.

This is a new etch install upgraded to sid.

I can tell there's an issue with upgrading coreutils, but really don't know where to go from there. The only information I could turn up related to a different version of the coreutils package, and was discovered to be a bug in that version.

Here's the relevant output:

Code: Select all
130 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/42.9MB of archives.
After this operation, 8401kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: warning: obsolete option '--print-installation-architecture', please use '--print-architecture' instead.
(Reading database ... 19661 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace coreutils 5.97-5.3 (using .../coreutils_7.4-2_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement coreutils ...
Replacing files in old package mktemp ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/coreutils_7.4-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/arch.1.gz', which is also in package util-linux
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/coreutils_7.4-2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Addendum:
I was taking another look at this and this line stood out

Code: Select all
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/coreutils_7.4-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/arch.1.gz', which is also in package util-linux

Ok, so it can't overwrite that file. Well, I figured it's just a man file, so I backed it up and deleted it, but the error is still the same. It still lists that file in the error, though it hasn't been recreated. What is up?
catfive

Re: apt-get upgrade erroring out

Postby bugsbunny » 2009-07-17 12:32

Did you try going directly from etch to sid? If so that's the root cause of the problem. And if it's a new install why did you install etch rather than lenny?

In any case the problem is that you still have an etch version of util-linux installed. the version in lenny on up no longer has that file, which is provided by coreutils.

You can't upgrade etch to sid without running into major issues along the way. You need to upgrade to lenny first. Or just install testing directly using a daily netinstall disk, then upgrade to sid from there. I think you can install sid directly using expert mode from a business card install.

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
bugsbunny

Postby catfive » 2009-07-17 12:59

bugsbunny wrote:Did you try going directly from etch to sid?

Yup.

And if it's a new install why did you install etch rather than lenny?

In short, laziness (had an etch disk already burned).

You can't upgrade etch to sid without running into major issues along the way. You need to upgrade to lenny first.

That possibility occurred to me, but I guess I dismissed it thinking there was probably an "etch sid" and a "lenny sid," though in retrospect that is nonsense.

Well, looks like I get to start over again thanks to carelessness. Good thing I wasn't too far along on the config.

Many thanks for your response.
catfive

Postby jcomeau_ictx » 2010-11-10 16:26

Same happened to me, all it took was:

apt-get install util-linux

Then restarted the upgrade, and went without a hitch.
jcomeau_ictx

Return to General Questions