Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Sources ??

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
KneeDeep

Debian Sources ??

#1 Post by KneeDeep »

when doing a google search for something like "debian package something", I get a page with the needed dependency "something" and all of its dependencies below. If I download the file corresponding to my filesystem, I have to install it with dpkg -i something.deb...and this doesn't get the dependencies automatically.

My question is this: How can I use apt-get to install the package i found using goolge? more specifically, how do i know which source repository I have to get the package from?

All I can incur about the package is wether its stable or unstable and so on, but I dont know the actual repository that has the package.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#2 Post by Lavene »

The Debian repositories are:
# STABLE
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

# TESTING
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

# UNSTABLE
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
You should have atleast one of them already in your /etc/apt/sources.list

Basically you want the one that corresponds with the branch you have installed, that is stable (Sarge), testing (Etch) or unstable (Sid). If you want to mix two or all three of them you should study the 'art' of pinning first...

There are quite a few unofficial Debian repos out there, so if your search hits is in one of them you'll have to dig out the repos from their home page or something.

When you have got your sources.list as you want it do:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
before you do

Code: Select all

apt-get install something
Tina :)