Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VMware

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.

VMware

#1 Post by Guest »

How do I install VMware on debian? Thanks.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Get the tar.gz file from the vmware web site, and unpack it.
Then run the vmware-install.pl script. It will ask a few questions, like where to put files. Answer those questions.
If it asks it you want to configure vmware, answer yes. You'll need to compile the vmware kernel drivers, there is no precompiled module for Debian. After it, you can start/stop the vmware services by calling
/etc/init.d/vmware
You can start the vmware program by typing 'vmware' (if the installation dir is on your path).

arjanhs

#3 Post by arjanhs »

I have done the same, vmware is working, but when rebooting my system, i have to recompile my vmware stuff, i'm using sarge with kernel 2.6.9, what could be wrong ?

Arjan

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

It is because VMware can't start the proper services, and thus decides that your copy is not properly installed. It can be caused by a number of things, here are some which caused the same at my computer:
- The location to which you installed vmware is not available when the system boots. You have to mount the filesystem to which you installed vmeare in order to be able to start its services.
- You did a 'make modules_install' after you installed vmware. This erases any module from the modules dir.

arjanhs

#5 Post by arjanhs »

When installing vmware i have left everything default, the only thing i have done after installing vmware is installing a new kernel, but after that i have run vmware-config.pl and i started using vmware.

I will try a reinstall.

Arjan