Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I'm considering using Debian Stable

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pamount

I'm considering using Debian Stable

#1 Post by pamount »

Hello

I'm currently using Fedora Core 4 to evaluate it for when I buy a new computer (hopefully not to long from now). I ran into one problem with it a couple of weeks ago. I accidently filled the hard drive and got an error message about my running out of space. Everything was fine when I deleted the offending file, that was until the next time I tried to boot up.

The next time I tried to boot up it just hung during boot up so it wouldn't boot up. This kept happening for every attempt at booting up. I've since done a fresh re-install of Fedora Core 4 and it's working fine now.

Would Debian stable have this problem? I remember when this happened with Windows the worst thing that happened was that it got really slow but it never froze on booting up when when the hard drive was about full.

I'm starting up a web development business and I just got my first paying client so I really want a Linux distrobution that's reliable and not prone to this sort of problem. Would Debian stable still keep working (and keep booting up) even after the hard drive got too full? I'd also like to know if Debian stable is good with hardware detection on installation as well as being good for a desktop environment for general use as well as web development and software development.

Thanks

tim

#2 Post by tim »

For what it's worth, I installed sarge on my wife's laptop, and a little while ago her hard drive got so full that after booting, X wouldn't start. But I was still able to log in as root on her computer without x, and I used apt to remove some programs and create some space on her hard drive. When I rebooted, X started again and my wife had her kde gui back.
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

anon

#3 Post by anon »

debian and I'd guess most linux distributions will save a little hd space that only root can use so you won't get into this particular kind of mess (as in users may be unable to log in but root can always do it and thus fix it).

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#4 Post by Jeroen »

anon: That's true, unfortunately, normally you cannot login as root graphically, because that has its own share of problems... I didn't consider this scenario yet, but yeah...

pamount

#5 Post by pamount »

anon wrote:debian and I'd guess most linux distributions will save a little hd space that only root can use so you won't get into this particular kind of mess (as in users may be unable to log in but root can always do it and thus fix it).
Hi

Does that mean that Fedora Core 4 (or 5) doesn't have this? The problem happened when I was copying a file from cd rom to my user account in Fedora Core 4.

With Easter coming up that would be a good time for me to change distros if I was to do that. I certainly don't want that problem to happen again

Thanks

Harold

#6 Post by Harold »

I strongly recommend that you create a separate partition for /home. That way, if your OS crashes or you decide to changes distros, all of your personal data is safe. You still want to do backups, but putting personal data in its own partition gives you another level of insurance.