Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I'm not sure

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Ricle

I'm not sure

#1 Post by Ricle »

I'm not using Debian yet. At this moment my favorite distribution is
RedHat. I'm using it for over 2 years now and I'm thinking taking a next
step into the world of GNU/Linux. By this I mean "upgrading" to a Linux distribution for
the more advanced users.

So maybe I will try Debain. But I'm not convinced. Can somebody convince
me?

Ricle

#2 Post by Ricle »

No one?
Maybe isn't debian the distribution I want after all

lacek

#3 Post by lacek »

It depends on you.
There are so many arguments about why you should use Debian, that simply noone wants to write such many things there... ;->

I think Debian is the perfect choice if you wish to really know Linux, how it works, and why. Some people says Debian is hard to use, but I'm using Debian for about six years now, and I find it very easy to use. It was the first distribution I ever tried, and it remained my favorite.
You must be prepared, however, thet there is no fancy do-it-instead-of-you tools in Debian (or there is not much). If you want to configure something, you need to edit the config file by hand. But I think it is not a big problem, at least I don't like if a computer tries to think instead of me, and
<flame>
I have _very_ bad experiences with Mandrake, for example, because it does everything, you need to push only a button, but if something get wrong (and it gets), you won't know what to do or what to change.
</flame>

So, go ahead and try Debian. Remember, if you have questions, you can always come here... :-)

Ricle

#4 Post by Ricle »

I already installed Debian and I must say; the installation wasn't
difficult and as for the user friendliness ....
apt-get JAHOOO!! thats great!!
I'm seriously going to check Debian out.

BTW Thanks for your reply

MarkvD

#5 Post by MarkvD »

Touch and feel, and you'll be infected by the debian virus!

thewolfro

#6 Post by thewolfro »

it is a virus :lol: