Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to stop Fork Bomb in Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jw013

Re: How to stop Fork Bomb in Debian

#16 Post by jw013 »

The reason I mentioned PAM is because it is a low level service that handles much of the authentication and other security measures on most Linux systems, and it has replaced / extended a lot of functionality formerly provided by other configuration files. Sometimes when settings don't seem to get applied, it is because PAM is not configured to use them. For example, I'm pretty sure (although I could be wrong) editing /etc/securetty by itself on my system doesn't do anything - I need to add the pam_securetty module in my pam settings for securetty settings to be applied b/c PAM has replaced that functionality. In your case, PAM was set up correctly - it was your limits.conf that was incorrect.

If you want to learn more about PAM, you could start with the wikipedia page, or try this guide. The manual pages are also very useful. Start with man pam, then maybe pam.conf, and if you're interested, anything else that starts with pam_ for the various pam modules you can use.

bkpsusmitaa

Re: How to stop Fork Bomb in Debian

#17 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Thanks, will get back to you after I have read the mentioned documents.

By the way, the system is giving anticipated response when we use the user terminal to put the Fork Bomb code, but still hangs when root terminal is used.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home