What's the problem with sudo apt-get update command ?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: What's the problem with sudo apt-get update command ?

Postby Telemachus » 2009-08-28 14:36

gnudude wrote:
smallchange wrote:... this is not how Ubuntu configures sudo,...

It isn't?

Technically, he's right. See my post above for exactly how they set up sudo.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
Telemachus

Postby gnudude » 2009-08-28 15:11

how about....this is not how ubuntu configures sudo now :wink:
gnudude

Postby jalu » 2009-08-28 16:34

smallchange wrote:For anyone who is interested, this is not how Ubuntu configures sudo, sudo was around long before Ubuntu, and most of the scare tactics on this page are as bad as the scare tactics Ubuntu uses to promote their attitude toward sudo.

the scare tactics on this board include telling how the not-recommended is getting done.
I have asked on ubuntu-forum how to get rid of sudo and didnt get no answer at all.

I for one give nothing on security issues and have allready said so. If cola wants to set it up that way, its his choice.
If he had asked straight ahead how to set up sudo i would have told it straight ahead. I thought he wanted to update and not he wanted to set up sudo
(that is: i misunderstood the question).

please, smallchange, explain the new-way they do it now, as i dont get it (else i have to install it and check for myself or simply believe Telemachus, which seems reasonable)

PS: I quit kuhbuntu short after the long-term erected-elephant 8.10 was out (due to kde4). So my info on the buntu way of doing sudo-things is a bit newer than Telemachus.
Last edited by jalu on 2009-08-28 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
jalu

Postby smallchange » 2009-08-28 20:07

Believe Telemachus.
smallchange

Postby Telemachus » 2009-08-28 20:12

smallchange wrote:Believe Telemachus.

Really? I usually recommend against it, but that's just me.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Telemachus

Postby edbarx » 2009-08-28 20:29

My golden rule: do it the Debian way. After all, typing su and the root password is not too laborious for my fingers. :)
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Postby gnudude » 2009-08-28 21:56

okay, ubuntu does it a bit differently... (although the first user you setup is still a part of the admin group by default)

wide open sudo seems to defeat the purpose of sudo.....but feel free to use it that way....
gnudude

Postby Coco » 2009-08-28 23:18

gnudude wrote:I hope your girlfriend doesn't sit at your machine and play around with commands like

sudo rm -rf /bin

then you will wish you hadn't configured sudo like that. :wink:

Unless his girlfriend knows his username password its not really a problem.

PS- I've gone the ubuntu route, installed sudo and disabled the root login as well. Its what I'm familiar with.

Edited - Spelling.
Last edited by Coco on 2009-08-29 01:55, edited 2 times in total.
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile
Coco

Postby Telemachus » 2009-08-29 00:24

Coco wrote:PS- I've gone the ubuntu root, installed sudo and disabled the root login as well. Its what I'm familiar with.

I think you mean the Debian route (about root - perhaps).
Telemachus

Postby Coco » 2009-08-29 01:16

Telemachus wrote:
Coco wrote:PS- I've gone the ubuntu root, installed sudo and disabled the root login as well. Its what I'm familiar with.

I think you mean the Debian route (about root - perhaps).

I'm pretty sure Debian doesn't disable root login by default (you can login as root by typing su). Ubuntu does so you can't login as root.
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile
Coco

Postby gnudude » 2009-08-29 01:29

I went the ubuntu route. I tied the gas pedal to the floor of my car and I left the keys in it... :lol:
gnudude

Postby jalu » 2009-08-29 01:31

I'm pretty sure Debian doesn't disable root login by default (you can login as root by typing su). Ubuntu does so you can't login as root.

you can choose during installation (i`m not pretty sure. im sure. at least for the media i got laying around)

If by default you mean you gotta hit a tab once aint default no more, well: on that im not sure.
jalu

Postby Coco » 2009-08-29 01:51

gnudude wrote:I went the ubuntu route. I tied the gas pedal to the floor of my car and I left the keys in it... :lol:

Don't you think you're exaggerating a little bit.

My Libre.fm profile
Coco

Postby julian67 » 2009-08-29 01:55

Ubuntu's sudo doesn't let all and any users run commands with root privileges, it only allows the first created user to do this (or any user the first user adds to the admin group).

The reason jalu got no response to asking about enabling root account at ubuntuforums is that anyone who offered to help would get infracted, maybe even banned for doing so. In fact maybe people did offer help but were infracted/banned and the posts moved to the jail. ubuntuforums...It's such a nice place...the freedom OS with just a hint of authoritarian mania...or is it the other way around? What is odder still about their forum policy is that Ubuntu server edition's installer offers the choice to create regular and user accounts, as per Debian and most other UNIX-like OS, or you can do it the Ubuntu way and have root disabled and the first user gets sudo admin privileges. However, the admins/mods/toy-gods at ubuntuforums have decreed that nobody is allowed to advise on the merits, or otherwise, of either approach, nor on how to change from one method to the other. This is apparently something like heresy or apostacy.

Anyway to address the OP, the reason sudo isn't working as in Ubuntu is because Debian, in common with almost every GNU/Linux distro and BSDs and Solaris etc, doesn't use sudo that way. You create two accounts on install, one is the root account and one is the user account. You use the user account and when you need to do some admin with root privilege you switch to root, usually by using the command su, or by using su -c '<some_command>'

Ubuntu had quite a lot of difficulties and put a lot of work into getting stuff working with sudo where the creator of the script/application had expected it to be used by root. Using Ubuntu style sudo in Debian you may run into odd failures because those same changes haven't been made. This is especially true of applications which are essentially scripts, and also 3rd party applications, especially proprietary ones which you may not be able to modify. My bet is that eventually using sudo Ubuntu style will just prove too annoying.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"
julian67

Postby Coco » 2009-08-29 02:01

julian67 wrote: Ubuntu had quite a lot of difficulties and put a lot of work into getting stuff working with sudo where the creator of the script/application had expected it to be used by root. Using Ubuntu style sudo in Debian you may run into odd failures because those same changes haven't been made. This is especially true of applications which are essentially scripts, and also 3rd party applications, especially proprietary ones which you may not be able to modify. My bet is that eventually using sudo Ubuntu style will just prove too annoying.

I disabled the root login using "passwd -l root" and rely solely on sudo. So do you recommend I re-enable root login? I haven't encountered any problems so far and I'm very comfortable and familiar with this setup.

My Libre.fm profile
Coco

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions