Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install Gnome on Debian??!!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Dummies

How to install Gnome on Debian??!!

#1 Post by Dummies »

Hi all.. I am dummies.. about Debian, yesterday I go to Debian website and download a minimum package of Debian, burn it to CD and install it. But now I can go to the command prompt and that it.!!
My purpose is to install Linux to go to the internet. But I can't do that with just prompt. I search on the internet and it say I must install Gnome??!! and to install Gnome I need to change something in /ect/apt/sources.list and I don't know a smallest thing to do this!!!
If any body are patient enough please show me step by step (what to type in the key board) or just ge me a tutorial somewhere on the internet..
Thanks a million..

Acron_0248

#2 Post by Acron_0248 »

You should entering in console mode, if so, leave here what have your sources.list, to do this, type in the mode you're now

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

To install gnome, you can try typing: su y press Enter, you will be asked for the root password, type it and press enter Again

Then, type this

apt-get install gnome gnome-desktop-enviroment gdm
If i'm correct, you don't even have an xserver, so, you need to install it:

apt-get install xserver-xfree86 x-windows-system x-windows-system-core

You're install debian what? i mean, Debian Sarge (stable), Debian Etch (Testing) or Debian Sid (unstable)

Bye
Linux User registred #399288

gaixixon

debian need help

#3 Post by gaixixon »

Oh sir.. I am using Debian stable..
and where can I start to learn Linux commands on the internet??!!

Acron_0248

#4 Post by Acron_0248 »

Well, stable works with xserver-xfree86 to get the X (GUI interfaz) so you can try with the earlier commands I gave you

Now, about the commands reading.....well, first of all, linux has is own docs, for examplem to know information about some code you type:

man code
where "code" will be the code you wnat information about

You can also search the code name in google or another web searcher

A nice place to start looking about some commands about the linux system can be found here

Also, you should read this about debian system

Reegards

Bye
Linux User registred #399288

gaixixon

#5 Post by gaixixon »

Thank you..