Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Programs

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Andruk Tatum

Installing Programs

#1 Post by Andruk Tatum »

I'm a definite n00b, sorry guys. How do you install programs, like Firefox and Thunderbird? I don't know any command prompts, but I do know what root is and a few other things. I do want to install it to the "Applications" bar, though, if that helps. Please be detailed. TIA.
"Resistance against tyranny is obedience to God"
-Harriet Tubman

That's why I'm using Debian.

Acron_0248

#2 Post by Acron_0248 »

Well, under debian are two general ways to install a package (if is a .deb package)

One is using Apt with any of the front-ends and command lines for it (synaptic, dselect, wajig, apt-get, aptitude....)

They are used to drown packages from the network using the APT system and the repositories configured in /etc/apt/sources.list

The other one is the dpkg method that is used to install packages already in your hard drive

In example of two ways:

Form the network:

Code: Select all

apt-get install firefox
From the hard drive, lets just say that you have a package named firefox-1.5.0.1-i386.deb, so, the command to install it would be:

dpkg -i firefox-1.5.0.1-i386.deb

To get more info about this to commands (and anyother you need to know), from the console, type:

man dpkg
and

man apt

To install tarball packages (.tar.gz, .tar.gz2) you use other command to uncompress them first, then you have to compile it and install it

For a .tar.gz in example:

tar -xzvf package.tar.gz
Then, you go to the folder package and do:

./configure
then

make && make install
This is the general way

And for a .tar.gz2 the compile procedure is the same, but to uncompress it you use:

tar -xjvf package .tar.gz2

If you want more information 'bout installing packages on debian, you should read this

Reegards

Bye
Linux User registred #399288

Andruk Tatum

Thanks.

#3 Post by Andruk Tatum »

Thanks! Thats better!
"Resistance against tyranny is obedience to God"
-Harriet Tubman

That's why I'm using Debian.

simen

#4 Post by simen »

Andruk,

If you prefer a GUI, try Synaptic, which you should find in your applications menu. This lets you do basic stuff like searching for software, downloading and installing deb packages etc.

Regards,
--Simen

ph7klw

#5 Post by ph7klw »

so, where does the library installed when I use dkpg -i

ph7klw

#6 Post by ph7klw »

what are the differences between .deb and .tar and .gz?
Do the library files (eg abc.deb) will be deposited on a folder where the compilers can find the libraries?

jasonzhang

#7 Post by jasonzhang »

Acron_0248 wrote:Well, under debian are two general ways to install a package (if is a .deb package)

One is using Apt with any of the front-ends and command lines for it (synaptic, dselect, wajig, apt-get, aptitude....)

They are used to drown packages from the network using the APT system and the repositories configured in /etc/apt/sources.list

The other one is the dpkg method that is used to install packages already in your hard drive

In example of two ways:

Form the network:

apt-get install firefox
From the hard drive, lets just say that you have a package named firefox-1.5.0.1-i386.deb, so, the command to install it would be:

dpkg -i firefox-1.5.0.1-i386.deb

To get more info about this to commands (and anyother you need to know), from the console, type:

man dpkg
and

man apt

To install tarball packages (.tar.gz, .tar.gz2) you use other command to uncompress them first, then you have to compile it and install it

For a .tar.gz in example:

tar -xzvf package.tar.gz
Then, you go to the folder package and do:

./configure
then

make && make install
This is the general way

And for a .tar.gz2 the compile procedure is the same, but to uncompress it you use:

tar -xjvf package .tar.gz2

If you want more information 'bout installing packages on debian, you should read this

Reegards

Bye
For the tarball packages, after I unpack the files, and go the folder i just unpacked, how can you execute
./configure
and how do you
make && make install

it always syas errors.

nayoo

#8 Post by nayoo »

ph7klw wrote:so, where does the library installed when I use dkpg -i
To list files belonging to a package :

dpkg -L your_package_name
To see what packgage(s) a file belongs to :

dpkg -S your_file_name
To show complete package information :

dpkg -s your_package_name

ajdlinux

#9 Post by ajdlinux »

jasonzhang wrote: For the tarball packages, after I unpack the files, and go the folder i just unpacked, how can you execute
./configure
and how do you
make && make install

it always syas errors.
The problem is that you are missing the development files that are needed. Can you show us exactly the error you get?

Harold

#10 Post by Harold »

so, where does the library installed when I use dkpg -i

Libraries that support the basic operation of Linux are installed into /lib/. A library which supports one or more applications that run on Linux will be installed into /usr/lib/.

jasonzhang

#11 Post by jasonzhang »

ajdlinux wrote:
jasonzhang wrote: For the tarball packages, after I unpack the files, and go the folder i just unpacked, how can you execute
./configure
and how do you
make && make install

it always syas errors.
The problem is that you are missing the development files that are needed. Can you show us exactly the error you get?
problem solved, thanks~~