Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

N00B: update firefox to 1.5.0.1?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Andruk Tatum

N00B: update firefox to 1.5.0.1?

#1 Post by Andruk Tatum »

how do i do this? im a little confused in this thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=4494

so, i have fx 1.0.6 and i would like to update to 1.5.0.1, but i dont know how. Im also a little confused in how to get the whole "apt -get install firefox" thing too, when i do that as root (or any other user) my comp says that it isnt a command, so, once again, please provide *very* detailed answers (like where to click and stuff). TIA.
"Resistance against tyranny is obedience to God"
-Harriet Tubman

That's why I'm using Debian.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Re: N00B: update firefox to 1.5.0.1?

#2 Post by Lavene »

Andruk Tatum wrote:how do i do this? im a little confused in this thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=4494

so, i have fx 1.0.6 and i would like to update to 1.5.0.1, but i dont know how. Im also a little confused in how to get the whole "apt -get install firefox" thing too, when i do that as root (or any other user) my comp says that it isnt a command, so, once again, please provide *very* detailed answers (like where to click and stuff). TIA.
Firstly, the command is:

Code: Select all

apt-get install firefox
No spaces between "apt" and "-get".

Secondly, what branch of Debian are you using? Sarge, Etch or Sid? I think Firefox 1.5 still is in Sid (unstable) only. So if you're running Sarge (stable) I really wouldn't recomend installing it as it will probably require a rather big upgrade of your system.

However, it is Backported. So if you add the folowing line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
# Backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main
Then do:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install firefox
you should get FF1.5 compiled for Sarge.

If this was too cryptic don't hesitate to ask for more help.

Tina :)

Kyo

#3 Post by Kyo »

It works, just as Tina wrote. I'm using ff 1.5 now and it's great.

Andruk Tatum .2

i guess it worked...

#4 Post by Andruk Tatum .2 »

well, im using fx 1.5.0.1 right now, and on both of my windows machines, it auto-updated to 1.5.0.2!

>.<

Oh well ,this is good enough.

Thanks!

BTW, how did you find out about that fx backport for sarge?

piper

#5 Post by piper »

The backport has been around for awhile, well since sarge came out (maybe longer), cause the month sarge came out I installed xorg on it instead of the old xfree. Don't get me wrong Sarge is a good stable system (still have it on my other box) and I learned alot from it, but I prefer SID or Kanotix. Server wise it is a good choice (sarge). Either way Debian is great no matter which road you take ;)

Hi Lavene :)

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Re: i guess it worked...

#6 Post by Lavene »

Andruk Tatum .2 wrote:BTW, how did you find out about that fx backport for sarge?
I don't remember. Probably word of mouth
piper wrote:Hi Lavene :)
Hey piper, nice to see you here :)

Tina

Andruk Tatum

lol, cool

#7 Post by Andruk Tatum »

so, you know of any 1.5.0.2 backports...yet?
"Resistance against tyranny is obedience to God"
-Harriet Tubman

That's why I'm using Debian.

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#8 Post by kink »

Why would you be needing that backport? It just adds some very small fixes. Security bugs will be fixed in stable, so you don't need the backport for that.

However, if you've gotten a backport of 1.5.0.1, I think the same people will also make 1.5.0.2 available in due time.

Harold

#9 Post by Harold »

If you want it that bad, go out to mozilla.com and download it. You'll get a file called firefox-1.5.0.2.tar.gz. Move it into /opt/ and do tar xzf firefox-1.5.0.2.tar.gz. No configuration required -- the directory /opt/firefox/ will contain everything needed for firefox to run. The executable will be /opt/firefox/firefox.