Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ERROR: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Kirath

ERROR: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

#1 Post by Kirath »

I've tried googling this error and I've found a lot of hits, but none of the offered solutions have worked. I recently upgraded mysql and other packages, and afterwards I would get this error on trying to start MySQL

mysql Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.24, for pc-linux-gnu (i386)

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)'

Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!

- mysqld.sock does not exist in the appropriate place in my.cnf or anywhere else on the system.
- MySQL is not running, and will not start with /etc/init.d/mysql start

root@banana:/# /etc/init.d/mysql start
Starting MySQL database server: mysqld...failed.
Please take a look at the syslog.
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!

--------syslog--------

Apr 24 11:05:20 banana /etc/init.d/mysql[4987]: 0 processes alive and '/usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping' resulted in

Apr 24 11:05:20 banana /etc/init.d/mysql[4987]: ^G/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed

Apr 24 11:05:20 banana /etc/init.d/mysql[4987]: error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)'

Apr 24 11:05:20 banana /etc/init.d/mysql[4987]: Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!
Apr 24 11:05:20 banana /etc/init.d/mysql[4987]:

------ end syslog -------

This is driving me nuts, does anyone know how I can fix this? Could have upgrading flex broken this?