Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

duplicate a cd or dvd

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
crusti

duplicate a cd or dvd

#1 Post by crusti »

Hi folks,

I'm appealing for guidance regarding copying cds and dvds.
I've read several howto's and such, but there's still information I seem to be lacking.

My goal is to be able to create a copy of my Debian dvds and my Kanotix cd. I would like to be able to determine if the copy is accurate.

I have some tools installed:
cdrecord
cdrdao
dvd+rw-tools
dvdbackup
dvdrip
dvdrtools

I attempted to use the readcd command to read my Kanotix CD.
readcd -nocorr dev=0,0,0 speed=1 f=/data/copycdvd-tmp.iso
This seemed to read fine up until the end when there was trouble reading the last portion. Then I added the -nocorr because I thought perhaps that would ignore non-fatal errors, that is, errors that were part of the original disk. Anyway, that didn't work either.

But even if it did work, how could I test that it was a valid copy of my cd? It's a single file and my cd is, well, a cd. Further, once that's burned onto another cd, how do you then check the integrity of the burn?

So question (1) is: What do I need to worry about when it comes to read errors on cd's and dvd's?
Question (2) is: How to I verify that the disc I create is a faithful copy?

I've found a lot of information about commands to use, but nowhere have I found an explanation of what to look for during the process and how to verify the finished product.

Any help or pointers would be terrific. In the meantime I'm going to re-read the man pages for these.

Cheers,
crusti
CPU: AMD Athlon 2500XP
MOB: Asus A7N8X-X
VID: GeForce4 MX440SE
AUD: Onboard
RAM: 1.5 GB
HDD: 80 GB Maxtor
HDD: 160 GB Samsung

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

The easiest way:

sudo apt-get install k3b

K3b does use the KDE libraries, so it may be a big download if you don't have them.

andrew

crusti

k3b wouldn't copy a dvd for me

#3 Post by crusti »

Hi there, thanks for the info. I have a question about K3B.
I can use that for copying cds but I couldn't make it work to copy dvds. Am I missing something simple there? I'd sure love to be able to use K3B for everything, but so far I can't make it copy a dvd, be it data or video.

cheers,
crusti

ajdlinux

#4 Post by ajdlinux »

Go to the Tools menu, and choose copy DVD. (note: I'm using sid.)

andrew

crusti

oh my goodness

#5 Post by crusti »

Oh my goodness! javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Wow. Yeah, perhaps before scouring the internet for howtos I should maybe look at the menus...I guess I expected it to show an additional button for copying a dvd, since they already included one for copying a cd.

Thank you very much!

I'm still interested in learning about how to do this with the command line, mostly to understand what is going on behind the scenes. But that sure helps.

Wow. Thanks!

I'm soon going to be setting up linux for a few friends that have had it with another popular operating system because of viruses and such. I'm trying to get a suite of basic tools together so they can use it without having to know what they're actually doing.

I'm also planning to ensure they can't change anything... javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Cheers,
crusti

ajdlinux

Re: oh my goodness

#6 Post by ajdlinux »

crusti wrote:Oh my goodness! javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Wow. Yeah, perhaps before scouring the internet for howtos I should maybe look at the menus...I guess I expected it to show an additional button for copying a dvd, since they already included one for copying a cd.

Thank you very much!

I'm still interested in learning about how to do this with the command line, mostly to understand what is going on behind the scenes. But that sure helps.

Wow. Thanks!

I'm soon going to be setting up linux for a few friends that have had it with another popular operating system because of viruses and such. I'm trying to get a suite of basic tools together so they can use it without having to know what they're actually doing.

I'm also planning to ensure they can't change anything... javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Cheers,
crusti
Make a list of packages you would want, e.g. gnome, kde, different utils, etc. Then just take along your debian CDs/DVDs and install the base, then run apt-get install <whatever>.

andrew