Sun Ultra Sparc 30

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Sun Ultra Sparc 30

Postby thehog » 2006-05-03 01:46

Hi,

I am about to buy a Sun Ultra Sparc 30. The machine has a main 300 MHz processor and an extra 300 MHz (co) processor, 2x4 GB SCSI disks and 1 GB RAM.

I am not sure whether to really buy it (approx. USD 120). Will Debian run on it and will I be able to run Xorg, Firefox, OpenOffice etc. to a reasonable degree?

Anyone has experience with such a machine?

Thanks for answering.
thehog

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-05-03 06:29

Debian should run on it quite OK, you'll need the SPARC version obviously. The main concern with running OpenOffice is the processor, other than that it's fine.
ajdlinux

Postby Guest » 2006-05-03 06:34

On a general forum sparc users with specific hardware are probably few and far between (not that you couldn't get lucky).
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/ is a debian sparc specific mailing list. I'm guessing that a kernel (although maybe not the latest), is a given and that if there are problems it would be xorg or xfree86 , so any info you could include on the graphics hardware would probably be helpful. You could also have a look at the install manual http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stabl ... ex.html.en to see if there are any hints or if there's a problem getting the installer to run (bootloader).

Sun Ultra Sparc 30

Postby pgrimshaw » 2006-07-18 10:38

How did you go with your Sun UltraSPARC 30.
I have just installed v3.0 r5 after much messing around with the CD image I buily from the download. My problem remains with the framebuffer.

I believe the Ultra 30 Creator uses the sunfbb frame buffer but I am unable to get X up & running - startx falls over in a heap.
pgrimshaw

Re: Sun Ultra Sparc 30

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-07-19 05:03

pgrimshaw wrote:How did you go with your Sun UltraSPARC 30.
I have just installed v3.0 r5 after much messing around with the CD image I buily from the download. My problem remains with the framebuffer.

I believe the Ultra 30 Creator uses the sunfbb frame buffer but I am unable to get X up & running - startx falls over in a heap.

I will HIGHLY recommend using 3.1/Sarge, it really should have been numbered about 6.0 or so, it's much easier.
ajdlinux

Return to General Questions