Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Ubuntu packages on Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
milomak

Re: Installing Ubuntu packages on Debian

#106 Post by milomak »

bugsbunny wrote: However: There should never (and I mean absolutely never) be a need to install Ubuntu binary debs into Debian. Any Ubuntu package should be available as an already Debianized source package, just download the source and compile it on Debian - you can then install it knowing that you won't have any problems. If it won't compile then you probably shouldn't be installing it in any case.
is this to say I can add deb-src path/to/ubuntu/repo

apt-get source ubuntu-package

and then proceed with the normal debian build process?

edit: obviously changing debian/rules (or control - whichever of the two files it is) to point to the equivalent debian dependencies should there be differences?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

bugsbunny

#107 Post by bugsbunny »

milomak wrote:
bugsbunny wrote: However: There should never (and I mean absolutely never) be a need to install Ubuntu binary debs into Debian. Any Ubuntu package should be available as an already Debianized source package, just download the source and compile it on Debian - you can then install it knowing that you won't have any problems. If it won't compile then you probably shouldn't be installing it in any case.
is this to say I can add deb-src path/to/ubuntu/repo

apt-get source ubuntu-package

and then proceed with the normal debian build process?

edit: obviously changing debian/rules (or control - whichever of the two files it is) to point to the equivalent debian dependencies should there be differences?
Yes - that's exactly what it means. Pulling source (and only source) is fine. Standard Debian build process should also work, after adjusting dependencies as/if needed. You would also want to modify the changes file (whether you need to change dependencies or not).

milomak

#108 Post by milomak »

on this issue, would the following source be 3rd party or ubuntu?

Code: Select all

#deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
would the advice be not to install anything from it?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

bugsbunny

#109 Post by bugsbunny »

launchpad projects are "interesting". They don't always have source easily available. But generally speaking I consider them 3rd party geared towards Ubuntu. You really need to handle them on a case by case basis. If you can get Debianized source that's always the preferred method.

stevepusser

#110 Post by stevepusser »

You can always pull the source files out of a PPA by manually surfing to the actual files:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/ppa/ubunt ... bnzbdplus/

downloading the two or three source files and running

dpkg-source -x <packagename>.dsc

to get the original source. I have noticed that the quality can vary wildly as to completeness of build-depends and things like that, compared to Debian's uniformly high standards, but if you like to fool around with stuff like that, it can be fun.
MX Linux packager and developer

Roel63

#111 Post by Roel63 »

The thing that worries me about Ubuntu debs is that the versions are not quite comparable. Can we compare version Jaunty with version Squeeze? Lucid with Sid?

For me there are two apps that don't really have Debian debs, but DO have Ubuntu debs: Dropbox and Openftd. As I am too frightened to mess up my system I installed both from source. Works like a charm and it teaches me a little more about how the system works.

Although, I have to say that I used http://www.ftd4linux.nl/wiki/index.php/ ... nstallatie howto for tracing the dependencies. There is no Debian howto there.

It seems that some apps tend to make Ubuntu debs when having their releases, and tend to assume that Debianoids are able to build from source?

stevepusser

#112 Post by stevepusser »

Well, if you have recent enough library support in your version of Debian, since stable is getting rather old, you can rebuild Ubuntu packages with ease once you get the basic commands down. Then it's just a matter of figuring out what library names have changed in Ubuntu if you get some weird build failure. When I backport packages, I try to use alternative build-depends or Depends in the control file to make it compatible with Ubuntu or Debian as far as possible; for example, mplayer with the old gtk GUI:

Depends: stuff, stuff, stuff, mplayer-skins | mplayer-skins-blue, stuff, stuff

So that either the Ubuntu or Debian versions of the skins package will satisfy that dependency. I am more familiar with the Debian end of things, bringing them over from Ubuntu, though.

And you can always make a proper deb of the raw source code, but that's way more advanced and takes a lot more effort to do really right. When I manage to do that correctly, (gyachi or kernelcheck for Mepis, for example), I feel like I really accomplished something. (Hint: cdbs handles a lot of stuff automagically)
MX Linux packager and developer

mojoman

#113 Post by mojoman »

Nadir better hurry up or page 8 is going to be filled up already...
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.