Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

editing files served by Apache - write permissions

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
daidalus13

editing files served by Apache - write permissions

#1 Post by daidalus13 »

I need to frequently edit files on my webserve's document tree. These files are curretnly owned by root and belong to the root group. For example:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1033 2005-09-05 14:09 index.html.zh-tw.big5
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1733 2006-05-07 21:46 index.php

I don't want to be root to edit these files. So I think I have the following options:

It is sensible to make a new group, like 'webdev', and give ownership of all the files under the server's document tree to this new group ('webdev'). If I give write permission to the group that owns the files then I can add myself to the this new 'webdev' group and be able to edit my files.

Another alternative is to make myself owner of all the files. The owner of the files has write permissions already.

What do you think?

Thx in advance for any feedback

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

The webdev group idea seems best to me if this is a production server. It of course has the added flexibility of being able to add other users in to that group as needed.