Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hi guys...

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
caligula

Hi guys...

#1 Post by caligula »

I've just switched to debian from ubuntu :D
My first try.

I downloaded the minimal cd for network installation, and currently it's installing the DE.

I've noticed something weird in that part...
is it installing both KDE and Gnome?

And what versions of them does it install?

I hope everything is going to work...

thanks,
josh :)

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

Yes, in Sarge/Stable desktop installs KDE and GNOME. In Sarge it installs KDE 3.3 and GNOME 2.8. In Etch/Testing it is KDE 3.5 and GNOME 2.14.

Christmas

#3 Post by Christmas »

Yes it installs both of them. Take care to select the "Desktop Environment" using the Space key, because it appears to be selected and actually it's not.
If you prefer only one DE you can install only the base system, restart and than login as root. After this install a DE with the following commands (for a 2-CD Set you can install either GNOME or KDE):

For KDE:

Code: Select all

apt-get install x-window-system-core kdm kde
For GNOME:

Code: Select all

apt-get install x-window-system-core gdm gnome
You can also use kde-core and gnome-core as far as I remember but I wouldn't do that since most applications like KPackage won't be installed by default.
Now I never installed over a network, but it should be the same, except the fact that your sources.list should differ. I don't know much about this. Hope this helps.

LE: I was using Ubuntu too, actually i used both Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but since Flight 7 I switched to Debian. When Dapper is out I think I'm going to switch back, or I don't know. Maybe I'll install Etch, we'll see.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena