Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Lenny=>Squeeze upgrade not completing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
s3a

[SOLVED] Lenny=>Squeeze upgrade not completing

#1 Post by s3a »

Ok so this all started when I tried to upgrade my computer from Lenny to Squeeze and it downloaded everything but it's stuck at installing udev which it said it couldn't do on the 2.6.26 kernel. I then did update-grub and Squeeze's 2.6.32 kernel was seen (on grub). I have grub-legacy chainloading (if I'm not mistaken) but I don't have grub2 installed. When I try to boot through the 2.6.32 kernel so that I can complete the upgrade (that is to install udev and have everything working fine), instead of reaching the OS, it says something along the lines of "kernel panick not syncing vfs" and something about "root(hd1,0)". I've tried to solve this on the Debian IRC channel but haven't been able to so it would be greatly appreciated if someone helps me get through this!

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by s3a on 2010-05-30 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

craigevil

Re: Lenny=>Squeeze upgrade not completing

#2 Post by craigevil »

Debian User Forums • View topic - lenny to squeeze upgrade - udev/kernel issue - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48996

Actually the answer is in the error message.

"AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can force the installation of this version of udev
WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH YOUR RUNNING KERNEL AND WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM
AT THE NEXT REBOOT by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.
There is always a safer way to upgrade, do not try this unless you
understand what you are doing"

Just create that file as root : touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade or use your favorite file manager navigate to /etc/udev right-click Create New txt file named kernel-upgrade
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

BioTube

#3 Post by BioTube »

You should be able to bypass the panic by changing the 'root=UUID=' part to 'root=/dev/sdX'.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

cynwulf

#4 Post by cynwulf »

I had the same problems when I upgraded my other box from Lenny to Squeeze about 2 weeks ago. I did not do 'aptitude -f install', instead I called off the updates at that point and installed 2.6.32-3 and then rebooted and carried on updating without further issues.

I had some more problems (problem between keyboard and chair) with grub -> grub2, grub legacy was still there and could not see the 2.6.32 kernel for some reason - I eventually managed to resolve this by purging grub completely (not a good idea as it leaves the system without a bootloader) and immediately resinstalling grub2 and running update-grub. I doubt I went the right way about it, but it worked in the end.

refracta

#5 Post by refracta »

cynwulf wrote:...purging grub .... resinstalling grub2 and running update-grub.
that seems to be the sane method actually....all that chainload this and then do that and then something else stuff makes the process seem complex

s3a

#6 Post by s3a »

@cynwulf/refracta: I cannot install anything until udev is installed since the system does not allow me to.

@BioTube: Also on grub when I press e to edit the 2.6.32 kernel selection, it already says /dev/mapper/debian-root since I'm using LVM.

@craigevil: As for "Just create that file as root : touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade or use your favorite file manager navigate to /etc/udev right-click Create New txt file named kernel-upgrade." When you say "touch," do you mean edit? Or do I just create a blank new file with that name in that directory? By the way my GUI is disfunctional until I solve this problem not that that's necessarily a big problem since I can just use nano to make this file. Do I have to be running the 2.6.32 kernel when doing that? (because I can't even boot to it even though it's installed)

jamofix

#7 Post by jamofix »

When I upgrade my system I had similar problem and solution found here:

http://theosjunkie.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... ngsqueeze/

craigevil

#8 Post by craigevil »

s3a wrote:@cynwulf/refracta: I cannot install anything until udev is installed since the system does not allow me to.

@BioTube: Also on grub when I press e to edit the 2.6.32 kernel selection, it already says /dev/mapper/debian-root since I'm using LVM.

@craigevil: As for "Just create that file as root : touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade or use your favorite file manager navigate to /etc/udev right-click Create New txt file named kernel-upgrade." When you say "touch," do you mean edit? Or do I just create a blank new file with that name in that directory? By the way my GUI is disfunctional until I solve this problem not that that's necessarily a big problem since I can just use nano to make this file. Do I have to be running the 2.6.32 kernel when doing that? (because I can't even boot to it even though it's installed)
yes just create a blank file . "touch" is a command that will do just that.

touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade as root will create the file allowing udev to update.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

milomak

#9 Post by milomak »

craigevil wrote:
s3a wrote:@cynwulf/refracta: I cannot install anything until udev is installed since the system does not allow me to.

yes just create a blank file . "touch" is a command that will do just that.

touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade as root will create the file allowing udev to update.
i wish i had known this some months back when I wanted to upgrade from stable (lenny) to testing (squeeze). such a simple solution (i assume it allows the install of the testing kernel in the transition environment).
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

s3a

#10 Post by s3a »

Ok so I solved this by doing: touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade (thanks everyone!) That solved my kernel and udev installation problem. However, now I can't use GNOME or even KDE. In order to keep this thread clean, I'm posting the new question here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52412

dindoun

Re: [SOLVED] Lenny=>Squeeze upgrade not completing

#11 Post by dindoun »

thanks a lot for

Code: Select all

touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade
:D :D
i had the same problem with udev and apt-get -f install which didn't accept to solve the upgrade from lenny to squeeze