Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
handheldCar

Re: No /etc/X11/xorg.conf

#16 Post by handheldCar »

bugsbunny wrote:What's lsmod tell you about what driver is actually being used?
Which module tells that?
bugsbunny wrote:"trunk" kernel has been superseded for a while now and isn't found in the repos any more. Remove it. Latest official Debian kernel is 2.6.32-5
How do I remove a trunk kernel?

BioTube

#17 Post by BioTube »

handheldCar wrote:Which module tells that?
You'll have either nouveau or nvidia.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

AMLJ

#18 Post by AMLJ »

I had the same problem, if you got NVIDIA, then install all the needed packages. (You can find them easily, a little search, even in this website.) After that run:

Code: Select all

nvidia-xconfig
AND ENJOY! :wink:
AMLJ**0-1-47

handheldCar

#19 Post by handheldCar »

BioTube wrote:
handheldCar wrote:Which module tells that?
You'll have either nouveau or nvidia.
I was asking because saw several nouveaus and dozens of other lines.

handheldCar

#20 Post by handheldCar »

I guess I got this working, now. I ran nvidia-xconfig which made an XF86 file that didn't work after restarting kdm. I logged into tty1 as root and changed the XF86 file to xorg.conf which still didn't work. I tested it with X -config $PATHNAME, got a blank screen, switched back to the tty w/ Ctrl Alt F1, quit the test with Ctrl c and got an error about GLX and the NVIDIA driver, so I changed the driver to nouveau; and that gave me the graphical login. Compositing didn't just work; I changed the type to XRender. I'm not sure if compositing is working because 3D effects are working or just because of something I could've done all along. I ran the following and got the following results:

$ glxinfo |grep rendering
bash: glxinfo: command not found
My hard drive has been making a little noise since yesterday, and it's light has been blinking a bit. Maybe I enabled too many effects, and maybe I was sloppy yesterday.

AnInkedSoul

#21 Post by AnInkedSoul »

install mesa-utils

craigevil

#22 Post by craigevil »

The dpkg bot in #debian knows it all.

From squeeze onwards, you can often use an <empty xorg.conf>. Configure your keyboard layout for both X and console in
/etc/default/console-setup or "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup" (not xorg.conf).
If you have further things you wish to configure, use "X -configure" ("X -configure :1" if server is already active) to produce a xorg.conf template. Ask me about. http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide

To use an NVIDIA graphics card with Debian, see http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

The nvidia drivers currently in squeeze are compatible with the squeeze kernel. No need for a testing/unstable mix now. Use either
module-assistant or DKMS to compile them. They are incompatible with <nouveau> <KMS> (nouveau kernel module blacklisted as of nvidia-kernel-common 20100522).

nvidia m-a
For Lenny and Squeeze users. Ensure you have <non-free sources> added.

aptitude install module-assistant && m-a a-i   nvidia-kernel

After successful module compilation,

aptitude install nvidia-glx nvidia-xconfig && nvidia-xconfig -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf
nvidia-dkms
For Squeeze users. Ensure you have <non-free sources> added.

aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r | sed  's,.*-,,'` nvidia-glx nvidia-xconfig && nvidia-xconfig -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Or even easier just use smxi
do, as root:

cd /usr/local/bin && wget smxi.org/smxi.zip && unzip smxi.zip && smxi
or (#2)
you can also just download the file and run it, like so:

cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/smxi && chmod +x smxi && smxi
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

handheldCar

#23 Post by handheldCar »

Thanks AnInkedSoul. Apparently, my machine was having trouble loading the GLX driver.

craigevil, your reply was pretty unclear, and I ended up doing just about everything in it when I was supposed to do the first or the second. I hate it when people list lots of instructions and then list the easier alternative. The Debian wiki does a much better job of saying, "There are two ways, and here's information to help you choose one or the other." I don't know what dpkg is talking about; although I'm running testing for KDE 4.4, my legacy drivers for GeForce FX 5200 are in unstable. Anyway, I can't get X at all now without the nv driver which is killing me with its 1024x768 resolution. Desktop effects work except for invert. What does this NVIDIA driver do anyway? I don't play video games. I must be wasting my energy.

I can't tell if these are the NVIDIA libraries or something else. One of them doesn't have a pointer, and this is just an example. I don't know what else I could be checking. (/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA*/README* chp 5)

$ ldd /usr/bin/glxgears 
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb76e7000)
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb762d000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7607000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb74e9000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb74d0000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7389000)
        libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0xb6649000)
        libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0xb6647000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb6637000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb6633000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb76e8000)
        libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb661a000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb6617000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb6612000)

AMLJ

#24 Post by AMLJ »

handheldCar wrote:I guess I got this working, now. I ran nvidia-xconfig which made an XF86 file that didn't work after restarting kdm. I logged into tty1 as root and changed the XF86 file to xorg.conf which still didn't work. I tested it with X -config $PATHNAME, got a blank screen, switched back to the tty w/ Ctrl Alt F1, quit the test with Ctrl c and got an error about GLX and the NVIDIA driver, so I changed the driver to nouveau; and that gave me the graphical login. Compositing didn't just work; I changed the type to XRender. I'm not sure if compositing is working because 3D effects are working or just because of something I could've done all along. I ran the following and got the following results:

$ glxinfo |grep rendering
bash: glxinfo: command not found
My hard drive has been making a little noise since yesterday, and it's light has been blinking a bit. Maybe I enabled too many effects, and maybe I was sloppy yesterday.
To see if compositing is working, go to System Settings>Desktop.
AMLJ**0-1-47

handheldCar

#25 Post by handheldCar »

craigevil, thank you very much. I installed stable kde today, and smxi installed the driver; and my resolution is larger :) I resorted to it because there was no package for stable, but curiously, there is now a package for testing. go figure. I appreciate your help

AMLJ

#26 Post by AMLJ »

By the way, today I got something else too, when configuring NVIDIA drivers for my brother.
Install nvidia-xconfig.
Also, apt-cache search nvidia drivers, then find the package for your kernel (Do a uname -a if you don't know what your kernel is) and install it.
And then type nvidia-xconfig.
That should build you your file.
AMLJ**0-1-47

handheldCar

another success story

#27 Post by handheldCar »

Although Konsole was much faster, I got sick of KDE 3.5 and decided to install testing again for 4.3/4.4. Upgrading from 3 to 4 has been buggy anyway. First thing I did after making sure I had non-free and contrib sources was come here and start smxi. I removed the generic kernel and the trunk, but smxi wasn't able to remove the nouveau module again. First, the instructions said reboot and reboot again if problems, and then they said shutdown for 30 seconds. Last time, I shutdown and reboot, but this time I just shutdown and then started smxi again since I couldn't remember the other package that actually does the install. It removed the nouveau module and installed the driver for what it's worth. At least I can enable Invert now, but it just turns things black :| might be able to find a fix later

handheldCar

#28 Post by handheldCar »

I got nouveau working by building a libre kernel. I just accepted all of the defaults except for the one pertaining to nVidia in the make oldconfig step.