Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

General Docs - webserver/forum

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mykpoz

General Docs - webserver/forum

#1 Post by mykpoz »

Hello all,

I am super green to linux and to debian.

I have performed a few searches on what I need to do in order to set up my server with the following

PHP
Apache2
phpbb2
possibly myphpadmin for the mysql authoring
and mysql 4ish

Does anyone have any good resources that will be able to *hold my hand* through this learning curve? Or does anyone have any good general docs for someone new to debian and trying to set up a system.

I know its vague, but I have been unable to put various posts on different topics together to reach the desired outcome.

Thanks for the help.

Mykpoz

epostma

#2 Post by epostma »

Hi Mykpoz,

I don't have any documentation handy, but if you:
  • have fairly standard hardware,
  • do not plan to use this machine for any other tasks, and
  • have a fairly standard internet connection,
then everything might be autodetected and you would not need any linux skills to get this up and running. The steps would look something like this:
  • Do a standard install of Debian. Just pop the install discs into the machine and reboot, it should be fairly straightforward.
  • Note the password and username for the regular user and the password for root (the name for the super-user or administrator in Unix).
  • Once you have this install all done, you should find yourself at a login screen. Log in as the regular user.
  • Once logged in, find an icon that gives you a terminal window. You'll probably find something that says xterm in the menus -- that should do.
  • In the terminal window, type the following:

Code: Select all

su
    (now type the root password)
    aptitude update
    aptitude install apache2 libapache2-mod-php4 mysql-server phpbb2-conf-mysql phpmyadmin
    exit
    exit
  • Log out again.
You can leave phpmyadmin out of that line if you don't need it; I read the package description of phpbb2-conf-mysql as saying that you might not need it if you only wanted it to get phpbb2 set up.

Note that if you really put this into production, you might want to set up a packet filter or "firewall", and make sure you get security updates regularly. But this should be sufficient to check if you like the experience and if it's worth investing time into learning this stuff.

HTH,

ajdlinux

#3 Post by ajdlinux »

If this is going to just be a server you don't need a graphical interface and can log in directly through the command line console.

epostma

#4 Post by epostma »

Yeah, you're right. I did sort of realize, but of the three alternatives:
  • standard install - GUI login - find terminal,
  • standard install - Ctrl-Alt-F1 - login,
  • find out what to choose during install in order not to get a GUI,
I thought maybe the first would be the simplest. But I've looked it up, and if you select "web server" as task during installation, and not "desktop", then I guess you do indeed log in at the console. By the way, if you'd additionally select "database-server", then you'd get postgresql installed instead of mysql. Anyway. So revised instructions look more or less as follows:
  • Do a standard install of Debian, selecting "web server" as the task for this machine.
  • Note passwords & username; see above.
  • Login as root.
  • Get a list of the newest package versions:

aptitude update
  • Install missing packages:

aptitude install mysql-server phpbb2-conf-mysql phpmyadmin
  • Log out:

exit
HTH,

mykpoz

#5 Post by mykpoz »

I realize that since it is a server, that I wouldn't really need a GUI.

Unfortunitly, this will be my first time really using a linux box to perform any real function. Although I will try to do 90% of my tasks via ssh, I realize that I may need a GUI that I can use for a crutch at times.

I've managed to get mysql, php4, and phpbb2 up and working.

2 main issues remain (and one I really haven't looked into yet.)

1. VNC4 came installed with the default debian install. Truthfully should i use this, i'd like to see it work in the following way:

If for some reason the server is restarted, it should run as a service. I would then be able to vnc into the box, and be prompted with a gdm or kde login, that I could put my username/pass in to gain access the desktop manager. Currently, someone local to the box has to log in, and then use the terminal to run the vnc4server command. When this is done, i currently get a grey background with a singular terminal window, and no task bar. If I need a gui, I either run "startkde" or "exec gnome-session." This in itself is not a HUGE deal, just curious as to how i can set this up, as various message boards have been unsuccessful in helping me find this information.

2. Setting up a mail service, so that when people subscribe to the phpbb2 board, that the box will send the emails out for PM's and Registration etc. If you can recommend any applicatoins to handle this, and also supporting info, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks again

mykpoz

ajdlinux

#6 Post by ajdlinux »

The Linux version of VNC is different in that it doesn't actually take over the current desktop, it starts a new one. Also AFAIK it can't run as a service but you can set it up to start with the X server.

mykpoz

#7 Post by mykpoz »

I guess that if all that I am trying to acomplish is to have a desktop gui/functionality from a windows desktop, would a x-server manager do what I need?

I have never used one so its beyond my knowledge as to what is availabe on them.

If functionality is there, can anyone recommend some free/cheap clients to try out?

ajdlinux

#8 Post by ajdlinux »

1. This is a server! With servers you don't use GUIs!
2. If you really want to, then apt-get install x-window-system-core, then install Cygwin on your windows machine with Cygwin/X.

epostma

#9 Post by epostma »

Hi Mykpoz,

To get mail working from phpBB2, it's probably easiest to have it sent via SMTP instead of directly from your server. (The latter is possible of course -- just install and configure an MTA like exim or postfix.) I don't know much about phpBB, but according to http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/#section3_2_2_7, it should be possible to enter your ISP's SMTP server.

Concerning VNC: I agree with adjlinux's second suggestion. If you install Cygwin/X on your windows machine and x-window-system-core on the debian machine, then login via SSH with X support (e.g. http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/R40 ... win-X.html has some text on how to do this using PuTTY), then you should be able to have the debian apps display their stuff on your windows desktop.

HTH,[/url]