Checking and Fixing Filesystem - Is there a way?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Checking and Fixing Filesystem - Is there a way?

Postby sparky » 2006-05-21 17:42

Hi, I didn't know where exactly to put this so I thought that this section in the forum would be best;

My labtop (running 3.1r0a Sarge) has recently struck some problems with the filesystem and I don't know if there's anyway to fix it???? :(

I have a dual boot running windows on hda1 Debian on hda2 and swap on hda3.

I don't know exactly what happened but when I tried to log in to root through gdm it returned a blank screen and then ctrl + alt + del gave me a message: no mttr

Then when I was in my normal dir it took quite a while to access my files kind of like heavy fragmentation.

Anyway now Linux won't boot and nor will Windows??

I tried google'ing and found something which said to use e2fsck then resque, however I can't get in to the system!

I then tried with a knoppix live cd to boot and obviously machine was fine but both filesystems mounted and where useable :? all files were in tact but I just can't boot!

Can any one help?

Thanx in advance!!!
Jones' Second Law:
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone
to blame it on.
sparky

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-05-21 21:12

Try running e2fsck from knoppix. To do this:

1. open a terminal
2. sudo su
3. umount /dev/hda2
4. e2fsck /dev/hda2
-- wait --
ajdlinux

Postby sparky » 2006-05-23 14:35

Ok thank you, it worked kinda!

I was able to boot a few times into Debian but I think that the problem is deeper as the hard disk is making grinding and choking noises.

I was able to resque some of my files in the process, but windows is un-bootable and now Linux is coming up with: Error 16 - inconsistent file system :(

Is there anything else I can try to fix this and retain my files, or do I need to re-install completely??
Jones' Second Law:
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone
to blame it on.
sparky

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-05-24 07:15

In that case, I would recommend you take it to a data recovery professional. Depending on your HDD size and what you need to recover, etc. they can charge anywhere from $200-$1000 (that's Australian dollars).
ajdlinux

Return to General Questions