Installing a new mouse?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Installing a new mouse?

Postby cwininge » 2006-05-25 19:41

I am a new user to linux. I have just recently completed installation of debian with x-window and gnome. When I first got into gnome I had the problem that my mouse, at this point a microsoft wireless optical mouse, would frequently click things randomly all over the screen as I drug it 'cause icons to move and programs I didn't want to load. I have searched many forums and found that quite a few people with this mouse have the same problem but none of these forums offered a solution. As a result I decided oh well better just use an old ps2 for now. I pluged one in but on the next reboot I found that gnome wouldn't load. It said that it had no "Core Pointer." I plugged my microsoft mouse back in and everything was fine again except of course for the same annoying random clicking. Apparently it would seem that debian linux does not offer the ease of plug and play.

My question then becomes if I want to switch to this ps2 mouse how do I get linux to stop trying to use my microsoft mouse and use the generic ps2 mouse instead. I've searched the internet for how-tos on linux hardware installation but at best what I've learned is that it's different for every piece of hardware. If anyone could help me figure out how to get debian to detect that I've changed mice that would be great. Also if anyone knows anything about the microsoft wireless optical and how to fix that, the advice would aslo be appreciated.

Here is the exact error that comes from my XFree86.0.log

(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "dev/input/mice"

(EE) xf860OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
No Such Device
(EE) Configured Mouse: Cannot open input device
(EE)PreInit failed for input device
"Configured Mouse" No Core Pointer

Any help would be much appreciated
cwininge

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-05-25 21:17

That is extremely weird - since it is only a PS/2 port, it should just interoperate without problems. Are you sure the old mouse works correctly?
ajdlinux

Postby Lou » 2006-05-25 23:29

(EE) xf860OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
No Such Device
(EE) Configured Mouse: Cannot open input device
(EE)PreInit failed for input device
"Configured Mouse" No Core Pointer
******************************+

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

In the mouse section, in the first screen choose /dev/psaux. In the second screen: ImPS/2, so you can scroll.

For more information:

The Very Verbose Debian Installation Walkthrough
Read sections 9 and 10

http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016
Lou

Postby cwininge » 2006-05-26 00:53

Thank you that did the trick.
cwininge

Return to General Questions