Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

shockwave in Linux?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
nayoo

shockwave in Linux?

#1 Post by nayoo »

Dear All,

May I know is there any ways to install shockwave player in Linux?

Regards,
Nay Oo

P.S

If you want to figure out the problem, pls access this site : http://www.english-at-home.com/
I used to access this site from Windows before. But in Linux, I've got this problem. My Firefox cannot display this page properly. The Konqueror also failed to load this page. I added this paragraph just for your info. The player the site needs is "shockwave", I think. AFAIK, shockwave does not have Linux version. Is it true?

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

linux just has the flash player, not the component needed for the trickier games and such
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

nayoo

#3 Post by nayoo »

Unfortunately, English@home site is not for gamers but for english language learning.

So my question is whether it is possible to install shockwave in Linux?

Secondly, can you go to this site for testing? I am curious whether you can display the contents on the site using firefox or konqueror in Linux.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

nayoo,

I accessed that site from a computer running Linux and Firefox and with the latest Flash/Shockwave plugin for Linux, and the text is garbled.

I accessed from another computer, running Windows and Internet Explorer and the text is displayed with no problem.

My assumption is that the site was designed "optimized" for Windows. There are a bunch of designers and programmers out there that they used templates for programs running in Windows and the result is a problem like we experience.

There are 2 ways to solve this: 1- report the problem to the site webmaster and ask for a fix. If they don't care or cannot fix for any reason, and you need to use it for learning purposes, use from a computer with Windows.

Another (radical) way is what many Linux users do: don't use sites that impose restrictions/difficulties like that, especially if they are aware of the problem and don't provide a quick fix.

nayoo

#5 Post by nayoo »

domecq,

Thank you very much for your clear reply and your time for testing this.

I'd try to feedback the problem to the webmaster of that site and let her know. AFAIK, the webmaster is a lady and she is an english teacher. That site is very good for learning english at free times. She might not know the problem or does not have the resources to fix it since most of the site users might not be technically-savvy and using Windows all the time and nobody has been feedbacked the problem to her, which I'm not sure.

Best Regards,
N.O

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#6 Post by domecq »

nayoo wrote:She might not know the problem or does not have the resources to fix it since most of the site users might not be technically-savvy and using Windows all the time and nobody has been feedbacked the problem to her, which I'm not sure.
nayoo, a couple of more suggestions: you can tell her that it was tested from Internet Explorer and from Firefox and that the text appears garbled from Firefox. You could explain that since the sympton appears in an non-Microsoft browser, most likely the design was templated in a Windows environment, and tested in Internet Explorer, what is not sufficient since there are people out there using other browsers and operating systems.
Now, before doing that, I'd like to suggest something else to you: check with Firefox/Mozilla developers or ask in their forum about this problem. The reason I suggest this is just to rule out a possibility of a rendering issue specific of Firefox (which I doubt but anyways...). If you get a confirmation that Firefox has no such rendering problem, then you could add this confirmation on top of your suggestion to that lady.
Hopefully they do something to fix instead of a common attitude most webdesigners/masters have, i.e., not doing because it's not cost-effective. Talking about that cost-effective reasoning, another suggestion, in case a discussion about what I'm gonna write arises: I noticed that they fall in the wrong recurring idea that, if they have no much hits in their logs from users running Linux or other systems with browsers other than MS-IE, then they would not have justification to start such fixing effort. I consider it a wrong and recurring for the simple fact that, having no much hits is due to the site not work well, thus, people don't go there anymore, not to mention, "spread the word" to others that such site is compliant only with one OS/browser. Does it make sense?
Good luck.

Bulkley

#7 Post by Bulkley »

I tried that site with Opera and it didn't work either. Most likely, that's a Microsoft only site.

polemicz

#8 Post by polemicz »

I tried the site, Firefox 1.5.0.3 Etch, and it displays ok.

nayoo

#9 Post by nayoo »

Sure, I'll do as you've suggested. It do make sense.

Thanks, domecq.
domecq wrote:
nayoo wrote:She might not know the problem or does not have the resources to fix it since most of the site users might not be technically-savvy and using Windows all the time and nobody has been feedbacked the problem to her, which I'm not sure.
nayoo, a couple of more suggestions: you can tell her that it was tested from Internet Explorer and from Firefox and that the text appears garbled from Firefox. You could explain that since the sympton appears in an non-Microsoft browser, most likely the design was templated in a Windows environment, and tested in Internet Explorer, what is not sufficient since there are people out there using other browsers and operating systems.
Now, before doing that, I'd like to suggest something else to you: check with Firefox/Mozilla developers or ask in their forum about this problem. The reason I suggest this is just to rule out a possibility of a rendering issue specific of Firefox (which I doubt but anyways...). If you get a confirmation that Firefox has no such rendering problem, then you could add this confirmation on top of your suggestion to that lady.
Hopefully they do something to fix instead of a common attitude most webdesigners/masters have, i.e., not doing because it's not cost-effective. Talking about that cost-effective reasoning, another suggestion, in case a discussion about what I'm gonna write arises: I noticed that they fall in the wrong recurring idea that, if they have no much hits in their logs from users running Linux or other systems with browsers other than MS-IE, then they would not have justification to start such fixing effort. I consider it a wrong and recurring for the simple fact that, having no much hits is due to the site not work well, thus, people don't go there anymore, not to mention, "spread the word" to others that such site is compliant only with one OS/browser. Does it make sense?
Good luck.

nayoo

#10 Post by nayoo »

polemicz wrote:I tried the site, Firefox 1.5.0.3 Etch, and it displays ok.
polemicz

It is strange. I also use Firefox 1.5.0.3 with Etch.

Of cause, you can access the site and it is no problem. The problem is that the menu systems are corrupted and somehow, the graphics are not right. I suspect that the website developer used "shockwave" and unfortunately, "shockwave" does not have Linux compatible player.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Nay Oo