Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian size?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dusthaze

Debian size?

#1 Post by dusthaze »

What is the size of Debian? Just the very basic installation, which will just give me shell. Before I install X and a desktop environment.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

Check session 2.5 here.

DebNewbie

#3 Post by DebNewbie »

Which CD is require just for the basic installation? There is no way I am downloading 14 CDs in Sarge.

StarMonkey

#4 Post by StarMonkey »

The netinst cd will be fine, http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

My servers use a base install from the netinst disc (not selecting an option from the preconfigured setups of desktop, webserver etc..) and it comes in at about 400 meg.

DebNewbie

#5 Post by DebNewbie »

I might have a problem with that. You see, I do not have the Net at home. I will download the installation CD, burn it, bring it home and install it.

On a seperate CD, I will burn the packages (and its deps) I want, which is only a haldful of. All of them small.

So will my way work with "NetInstall" version?

ajdlinux

#6 Post by ajdlinux »

No, not really - the netinstall installs from the net only. You see, burning them to a CD won't work because of dependencies. Apt-get usually solves these, but it can only operate off the Debian repositories on the internet or from a specially created Debian CD. You'll have to download the full CD images.

DebNewbie

#7 Post by DebNewbie »

Okay, how about this:

I download which ever CD I need for a minimal installation in Sarge.

Then get the packages and its deps into a seperate CD. After installing the Debian, I will cp all the files in the seperate CD into the folder which Debian stores packages. Would that work?

ajdlinux

#8 Post by ajdlinux »

Disc 1 will give you the base system plus GNOME and KDE.

You need to use APT remotely - it is doable by using a removable drive and wget or similar on another machine.

DeanLinkous

#9 Post by DeanLinkous »

I think the netinst iso should provide you with a basic system.

But if I did not have net and wanted something useful then I would at least grab CD1 as stated it will give you a full system with some good apps too.

After that it is possible to grab files and use them but you will have to get familar with dependencies and tweaking packages files and so forth.

ajdlinux

#10 Post by ajdlinux »

The netinst ISO will give you a basic command line, not a GUI. You need a net connection or else you will need a full CD.