Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Steam on Wine not working

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jmslew

Re: Steam on Wine not working

#16 Post by jmslew »

bugsbunny wrote:All I can say is:
1) It works for me ( but I don't have 64 bit on this system)
2) There may be some inherent incompatibilities with Lenny (assuming that's what you're compiling on). They're probably fixable (if that's what it is) but I don't currently have the resources to try and track down what's happening.

You may have better results by following the instructions at the link:
"For further assistance write to debian@carbon-project.org" :)

Otherwise I still strongly recommend an upgrade to squeeze.
I am on sid/amd64. I am guessing it is most likely due to the 64-bit arch...I already tried the sid 64-bit instructions from the wine wiki, but that didn't work either. Not sure what I am going to do about this, but thanks for your suggestions.

BioTube

#17 Post by BioTube »

Try building a normal version of Wine(ie, no --enable-win64) and see if that helps.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

jmslew

#18 Post by jmslew »

BioTube wrote:Try building a normal version of Wine(ie, no --enable-win64) and see if that helps.
I am trying this now, and now that I think about it, I was in the wrong folder when trying to run

Code: Select all

./configure
last time and I saw the

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-win64
option before I figured out that I was in the wrong directory last time...I am trying over again, without the --enable-win64 flag/option/whatever-the-technical-term-is. It's compiling now.

jmslew

#19 Post by jmslew »

Well, your suggestion *appeared* to work. It got me to my account page where I could see all of my games, etc. Then the news page popped up and it all came crashing down again...I think this may have something to do with gecko, but I think I have that installed.

jmslew

#20 Post by jmslew »

After rebooting, the problem is apparently fixed...it will crash form time to time, but this is the latest and unstable version of wine, so I am chalking that up as something I can't do anything about right now. Thanks for the help.