Can't remove wine - apt-get bricked [SOLVED]

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Can't remove wine - apt-get bricked [SOLVED]

Postby ShakaZ » 2011-02-16 22:53

Hello all,

while trying to get a game to work on wine I was surprised to find out that the wine version that ships with sid is 1.0.1 released in October 2005.
So I installed the latest release I found at http://www.lamaresh.net/binary.php#sid_amd64, like this :

dpkg -i wine_1.1.42~winehq1-1_amd64.deb

The install failed, I think because I hadn't remove the old wine version, and that's when the joy-ride started. Impossible to remove wine to restart properly. (apt-get remove libwine wine and apt-get -f install didn't help)

After some googling I tried this :
dpkg -i --force-depends wine_1.1.42~winehq1-1_amd64.deb

This did install the wine version I wanted, and the game ran fine after that. However the result was a borked apt-get.

Tried to remove wine again with the above commands, resulting in apt-get failing to do so because it tried installing wine-unstable and reported errors similar to these :
E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'wine-unstable'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

Trying to disable Immediate-Configure in apt.conf.d, by setting APT::Immediate-Configure "false"; or APT::Immediate-Configure "1"; to solve the issue but that had no effect.

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/wine-bin-unstable_1.1.32-1+b1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/wine-font-convert', which is also in package wine-utils 1.0.1-3.1
configured to not write apport reports
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/wine-bin-unstable_1.1.32-1+b1_amd64.deb

Manually reinstalling all the original wine deb files didn't solve the issue either.

More googling and a couple of hours later :
dpkg -i --force-overwrite libwine-cms_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb libwine-gl_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb wine_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb wine-bin_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb libwine-gphoto2_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb libwine-ldap_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb wine-utils_1.0.1-3.1_amd64.deb
This did finally get rid of the wine 1.1.42 I installed manually at the beginning.

Another round of apt-get -f install, apt-get remove wine, apt-get -f install got rid of the errors of apt-get -f install.

The issue remains though trying to remove wine or replace it by wine-unstable results in the same errors :

Code: Select all
root:/var/cache/apt/archives# apt-get remove  wine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done                                                                                                                                                               
The following extra packages will be installed:                                                                                                                                                 
  libwine-alsa-unstable libwine-bin-unstable libwine-cms-unstable libwine-gl-unstable libwine-gphoto2-unstable libwine-ldap-unstable libwine-print-unstable libwine-sane-unstable               
  libwine-unstable wine-bin-unstable wine-unstable                                                                                                                                             
Suggested packages:                                                                                                                                                                             
  wine-doc binfmt-support winbind avscan klamav clamav                                                                                                                                         
The following packages will be REMOVED:                                                                                                                                                         
  libwine libwine-alsa libwine-cms libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2 libwine-ldap libwine-print libwine-sane wine wine-bin wine-utils                                                                 
The following NEW packages will be installed:                                                                                                                                                   
  libwine-alsa-unstable libwine-bin-unstable libwine-cms-unstable libwine-gl-unstable libwine-gphoto2-unstable libwine-ldap-unstable libwine-print-unstable libwine-sane-unstable               
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 11 to remove and 242 not upgraded.                                                                                                                             
Need to get 0 B/14.0 MB of archives.                                                                                                                                                           
After this operation, 21.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'wine-unstable'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

Code: Select all
root:/var/cache/apt/archives# apt-get  install wine-unstable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libwine-unstable wine-bin-unstable
Suggested packages:
  wine-doc binfmt-support winbind avscan klamav clamav
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libwine libwine-alsa libwine-cms libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2 libwine-ldap libwine-print libwine-sane wine wine-bin wine-utils
The following NEW packages will be installed:
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 11 to remove and 242 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/14.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 21.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Trying to disable Immediate-Configure in apt.conf.d, by setting APT::Immediate-Configure "false"; or APT::Immediate-Configure "1"; still has no effect. Apt-get returns the same error about Immediate-Configure.
I also tried apt-get --force-yes install wine-unstable results in the same error.

I have no idea where to go from here, except reinstalling the whole system, which seems a bit drastic...
Last edited by ShakaZ on 2011-02-17 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
ShakaZ

Re: Can't remove wine - apt-get bricked

Postby stevepusser » 2011-02-17 05:54

You might try these more recent packages....

http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Re: Can't remove wine - apt-get bricked

Postby ShakaZ » 2011-02-17 06:32

Problem solved, this is what I had to do :
dpkg -P wine
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of wine:
q4wine depends on wine | wine-unstable | wine1.0 | wine1.2; however:
Package wine is to be removed.
Package wine-unstable is not installed.
Package wine1.0 is not installed.
Package wine1.2 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing wine (--purge):
dependency problems - not removing
Errors were encountered while processing:
wine

Looks like q4wine is the origin of the dependency vicious circle. I though I had removed it in the process of trying to find a fix, but it seems it didn't work.

apt-get remove q4wine
dpkg -P wine
apt-get remove --purge libwine libwine-alsa libwine-cms libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2 libwine-ldap libwine-print libwine-sane wine-bin wine-utils
ShakaZ

Return to General Questions