Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ext3 or ext4 for squeeze

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
adrifoxbg

Re: ext3 or ext4 for squeeze

#16 Post by adrifoxbg »

AnimeHendrix wrote:I've heard that ext4 has better performance, but that it will also eat my hard drive. Has this problem been fixed? What would be a safer bet on a squeeze box? Is there even anything to worry about?
I have the same problem. Debian 6.0.7 is fast, but Debian 7 slow. If you have a website, and running MySQL, here's the problem. The new version of MySQL is very cumbersome. Here's an example my site installed on Debian 6.0.7 for 49 seconds, on Debian 7 website installed for 11 minutes.
There is one more thing that bothers me, even when you adjust the mouse is a fast or slow, hard drive again and thinking too noisy

vbrummond

Re: ext3 or ext4 for squeeze

#17 Post by vbrummond »

For ext4 disable barriers for better write and fsync() performance at the cost of some reliability. To test this, try installing Debian packages with ext4 and time it. Then disable barriers with mount option nobarrier (and reboot or remount), drop cache, and try it again, note the speed improvements. Cite source: https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ ... by_default
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... s/ext4.txt

Is it worth it? Up to you. I would say for anything needing good performance in that area just use ext3. I partition my systems using raid1, with lvm. And the lvm uses different file systems for different mount points. I use xfs for anything not otherwise specified, and ext3 for /var and /boot.
Always on Debian Testing