Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

which libs to use gcc (make)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MarkvD

which libs to use gcc (make)

#1 Post by MarkvD »

I've just installed SID and didn't use tasksel.
So I have a undressed installation but I it's to naked at the moment.
I want to compile a new kernel and when I do

Code: Select all

# make menuconfig
I get lots of errors like
  • scripts/fixdep.c:341: error: 'xxxxxx' undeclared (first use in the function)
so I think I need to install some packages but I don't know which.
Somebody an idea?

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

If the symbol is 'undeclared', then the package which defines the function is already installed. It it wouldn't, the program didn't even compile. To guess what lib you need to use, simply do an 'apropos <undeclared_function>', and you'll see a list of which installed packages contain the corresponding man page, hence, these packages (or their pairs without the -dev suffix) will contain the lib you need to link your program against. You can guess it (for example, libncurses5 will use -lncurses), or you can issue a 'dpkg -L' to see what libs are in the packge, and you can try them one by one ;-)

But anyway, I don't have a clue why the kernel says these messages. It really shouldn't, provided you installed the gcc package, but you obviously did...

thechise

Kernel packages

#3 Post by thechise »

You need the following

make
gcc
bin86
libc6-dev
libncurses5-dev
kernel-package (if you want to compile it the debian way)

Also depending on how you do it you may want to grab debhelper and fakeroot.