Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sarge release

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Joop

sarge release

#1 Post by Joop »

Will there ever be in the existance of mankind a official relase of Debian Sarge?

I just received the new Slackware cd-set, but still no stable sarge release...

Looks like we are forced to tranfer our production machine from Debian to Slackware if we want to use any hardware newer than Epoch.

What a bunch of academical losers are in the Debian release comittee.
All talk, no actions.

Joop says goodbye to debian victims

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

The official Sarge will come when the Debian maintainers think that the packages in Sarge are 'stable enough'. So, there is no deadlines and such, you must wait.
Debian testing is very stable, in my opinion, all of our production servers are upgraded here, without any real problems, so you may upgrade yours too.
Hardware is used by the kernel, by the way, so I don't clearly understand why it is a difficult task to compile a new kernel for your new hardware.

And may I humbly ask you to use a tone which is used by cultured humans in general, when posting to this forum? I didn't remove your post just because you actually asked some questions, but there would be no problem if you asked them without giving anyone a tongue-lashing.
<flame>
Victims may as we are, we secceeded to navigate in the dark and grim world of Debian, without any smarty pants holding their bright torch for us. So it seems we don't need any.
Try to overwhelm your nature and do not flame, will you? :-)
</flame>

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by Jeroen »

What's wrong with acadamics?

Seriously: it won't take too long anymore. Steady progress has been booked, especially this weekend's Vancouver meeting has been very helpful. As always, we don't give a date, because it won't be released until it's ready, but it'll be ready quite soon now.

joepotter

#4 Post by joepotter »

Jeroen wrote:What's wrong with acadamics?

Seriously: it won't take too long anymore. Steady progress has been booked, especially this weekend's Vancouver meeting has been very helpful. As always, we don't give a date, because it won't be released until it's ready, but it'll be ready quite soon now.
I think an official release would be a great thing; and soon.

That said, I do not see all the worry over it. Sarge has been stable enough to run our servers for more than a year. If one does not have the "dist-upgrade" illness, then Sarge is rock steady for server work.
Regards, Joe

Joop

The problem with stable testing...

#5 Post by Joop »

The problem with testing is, that we are working on a server installation image, wich will be distributed to a few hundred servers.

While we are working on our distribution for a few months now, we expect to be building on it the next few months.
Currently, we have apt pointing to testing. But in the very near future we have to take a snapshot of the server.

The problem is, that when i want to install some debian package a few weeks or months later on, I have to do a apt-get update, or installation of packages will fail.
Thats why it would be nice to have apt pointing to sarge.

Regards

lacek

#6 Post by lacek »

So why not make your apt point to sarge? I mean,
using a line like this in your sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
instead of

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
This way, if sarge becomes the stable release, you won't be required to touch any of your servers; they will happily get the stable packages upon update.

Joop

#7 Post by Joop »

Ah, my fault. I din't know it's possible to point apt to sarge already.
That solves many problems.

One oteh problem: now my clamav reports in the databse it's very outdated and should be upgraded immediatly.
Version in testing is 0.81, current is 0.83.

I can compile it myself, but the main reason we chose debian was because of it's package manager.

What's good practice in this case?
Compile it myself and make a package?

Regards

lacek

#8 Post by lacek »

You have several options here. First, you can wait for a newer version of clamav to come.
You can compile it, of course, and you can make a package from the compiled sources.
For this, the easiest way is to install the 'checkinstall' package, and after you compiled your version of clamav, enter the 'checkinstall' command instead of 'make install'. It will produce a debian package, and, more importatly, you can remove it without problems should it become obsolete.

However, if you are going to distribute a few thousand servers or so, as you mentioned previously, transferring the newly-compiled package to all of them could be a challenge, especially if you plan to update those servers later (possibly automatically).

For this, I think the best way you can do is to set up your own small debian repository, and enter that in the sources.list file of the servers. This way, if you need update the packages (because probably clamav is not the only one of such), you'll need to make packages to only one location, and the installed-servers will download those packages from your repository.
If you want to know more about how to set up such a repository, see this link: Debian repository howto

Joop

#9 Post by Joop »

Ok Thanks for your help.

You assumed right that we have to send automatic updates and do maintanance on those servers remote.

So I agree in creating our own repository.
Checkinstall is new to me, I will definitly use it. Great.

Regards, Joop

Joop

#10 Post by Joop »

Success report!

We are happy to report that clamav is running fine now.
The ease use of checkinstall suprised us, and we're very pleased with the -S option ;-)

Ok, pointing apt to sarge and building our own packages solves our problems. we don't depend on sarge becoming officialy stable now.

Thanks, and closing topic.

Regards, Joop

p.s. While debian is considered very conservative by us, and slackware more beeding edge, we discovered slackware current gcc = 3.3.4, sarge is 3.3.5 ;-)
(not to mention gcc 3.4)

R@ziell

#11 Post by R@ziell »

I donn't realy care if Sarge will be released today or next year...i use SID