Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

about the latest version Firefox?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jasonzhang

about the latest version Firefox?

#1 Post by jasonzhang »

Hi
I am new guy to Debian, just do me a help!

I just download the lastest version of firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

and it is a tar file. I put the file in \root\download\
What I do is unpack the file using:
tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.0.4.tar.gz

after that, what should I do? i follow one notes by Acron_0248, but what he says is .configure and compile something, how can i do that?

I want to put the firefox in the Application/internet menus, anyone can help?

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

type apt-get install mozilla-firefox

and do not start X as root
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

ajdlinux

#3 Post by ajdlinux »

Apt-get is the automatic installation system used in Debian - use "su" to switch to root, then type "apt-get install <package>" where <package> is what you want to install.

If you want a graphical program to do it try Synaptic and KPackage.

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

I put the file in \root\download\
What I do is unpack the file using: tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.0.4.tar.gz
after that, what should I do?
i follow one notes by Acron_0248, but what he says is .configure and compile something, how can i do that?

When you did tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.0.4.tar.gz, a new directory was created in /root/download/. It is probably named firefox/. It contains a complete firefox binary with static versions of every support file required to run the application. You do not have to do ./configure, make, make install. The executable is /root/download/firefox/firefox.

jbs1136

#5 Post by jbs1136 »

I downloaded a nightly which had an extension of .bz2. I found (via google) how to unpack it but it left me with a tar file. I used ark to unzip it but firefox will not run. I click on firefox (a shell script). I know I am missing something, just don't know what. I like the nightly's and all the new stuff.

Thanks,

John

ps: running kanotix64
Home built, ASRock M3A770DE motherboard with AMD Phenom II X4 955, MSI R5450 Graphics Card, 16 GB ram DDR#-1600, 1 TB Seagate sata, 500 GB Western Digital sata, Acer H243H 24" 1920x1080 monitor. Running Debian Testing (Wheezy)