Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help with dual boot

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mcflurry4321

Help with dual boot

#1 Post by mcflurry4321 »

Sorry if this is somewhere else in the forums, but I couldn't find it.

I just installed Debian for AMD64. I used the DVD ISO's. Debian works fine, but the problem is that my Windows won't boot when I choose to instead of Debian. It goes through the windows splash and then shortly displays something like autodisk is missing and one other thing that I can't remember and the just restarts. Any ideas?

dawgie

#2 Post by dawgie »

Please post your /boot/grub/menu.lst or /etc/lilo.conf
and tell us what is your drive layout.

mcflurry4321

#3 Post by mcflurry4321 »

Well I can bring that up, but it's on my other computer. How would I get it over to this computer without typing it all in here?

And my drive layout is as follows:

|-----------Windows partition-----------|--Linux--|-swap-|

Is that what you were asking?

mcflurry4321

#4 Post by mcflurry4321 »

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I hardly know how to use Linux, so without Windows working on my computer I have a worthless computer sitting there.

nayoo

#5 Post by nayoo »

Can you log into that Linux computer now?

Is the computer connected to internet?

mcflurry4321

#6 Post by mcflurry4321 »

Well I'm at work right now, but once I am home I can use the Linux portion of my computer and it is connected to the internet. Although whenever I try to run apt-get update it returns all kinds of errors and doesn't do anything.

nayoo

#7 Post by nayoo »

mcflurry4321 wrote:Well I'm at work right now, but once I am home I can use the Linux portion of my computer and it is connected to the internet. Although whenever I try to run apt-get update it returns all kinds of errors and doesn't do anything.
Dont worry about apt-get update first. Please make sure you CAN connect to internet from Debian so-called that problematic PC.

After you can connect to internet from that PC using Linux, you may want to troubleshoot and post the questions here at the same time with screen outputs.

It might be easier for us to look into it.

Just my suggestion.