Where are the system log files to check ? (system freezed)

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Where are the system log files to check ? (system freezed)

Postby nayoo » 2006-06-07 11:35

Hi

I got a strange problem. System freezed at Sarge's gdm login screen. I could not swich to text mode by pressing Ctrl+Alt+n (n=1..6). Mouse was freezed. Could not type anything via keyboard. Totally stucked.

It happened after I stalled telnetd and reboot.The system is Sarge and HDD is SATA.

Questions:
1. Possible to check the log files to find out why/how it hanged?
2. If so, where are the log files?
3. I still cannot think of how telnetd program can cause this freeze. very strange. I removed this program (after I loaded the Sarge in recovery mode), and after that, system did not freeze.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

N.O
nayoo

Postby pigah » 2006-06-07 13:42

don't know about telnetd freezing your system. why are you using telnetd instead of sshd?

as far as logs, try /var/log/syslog, it should have everything that is recorded. there may also be a telnet log in /var/log also.
pigah

Postby nayoo » 2006-06-07 13:48

pigah wrote:don't know about telnetd freezing your system. why are you using telnetd instead of sshd?

as far as logs, try /var/log/syslog, it should have everything that is recorded. there may also be a telnet log in /var/log also.

Thanks for the reply, pigah. I will check it out tomorrow since I'm at home now.

Telnetd is for a DSP embedded system development. I'm helping out an engineer who is gonna do embedded system cross-compilation. Previously he tried Red Hat and FC5 but now switched to Debian according to my recommendation. If the thing will get moving, the future works will be on Debian. This will be quite a huge impact. So pretty serious!

So it is my responsibility to help him to get the system working. Since my knowlege of Debian and Linux up to this point, is very limited, I hope that you guys don't mind if I sometimes ask very obvious questions.

So any of your help will be very much appreciated and making Debian System getting more and more popular in all areas of works.

Thank you!
nayoo

Return to General Questions