Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to back up the whole debian system

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
todm_bmx

how to back up the whole debian system

#1 Post by todm_bmx »

hi guys,
can anyine tell me, how to back up my debian system? i must implement a new software on it and wanna be sure, when something goes wrong, to be able to restore the system with all his files and configurations
thanks
\m/

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Simply make a tar archive of everything excluding /proc and the mount points.
If you need to restore your system, just boot a live cd, remove all of the archived directories and unpack the archive to /. If you use lilo, don't forget to run lilo after such a restore.

May I ask what kind of software could possibly mess up the system's configuration files? Sounds odd to me...

todm_bmx

#3 Post by todm_bmx »

why i need this?
because there is an existing system for RFID and it isn't backuped. i must implement a new software for wlan positioning and... i don't know, but my instructor wants me to backup the system, and i don't know how to do this. also do i need to backup the whole system, or just this part of it
\m/

Grommet - Space Cadet

#4 Post by Grommet - Space Cadet »

if you have the space....more is always better in backups but many people get away with just backing up conf files......

Its more about what you dont have an easy way to make work again....

some people have very default boxes.....they can netinstall sarge and be up and running in minutes with local deb archives etc.....

some people dont have the debs or dont want to reinstall all their data.

Some people would ratrherreinstall than fix a rooted box....

If you backup everything than all the above options are available...if you backup part of it the other part must be available to you to rebuild...

a common choice is to backup data files from users and any config files.....if theres room back up the rest....

in a situation like gentoo where you have to recompile everything if it goes splat then backups of everything is better as it takes hours and hours and hours to recompile big gentoo installs....

Debian is very modular/Pakage based ....

I dont even download stuff from apt-get to build a core system....i have the debs i want i copy a bunch of my conf files across and reboot. but im also using VM ware so it's not like i havent got a backup of lastnights version anyways....

long story short...the less you know/have the more you should backup 8)

lionslair

#5 Post by lionslair »

Could possibly ghost the system but Not sure of how to do under debian.