atp-get can not find packages [SOLVED]

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

atp-get can not find packages [SOLVED]

Postby dusthaze » 2006-06-09 13:59

During the installation, it asked me how do I want to get the packages. I selected CDROM thinking it was asking the packages I want to install during the installation. So I thought, "Why was bandwidth when I can use the CDROM's packages." Well, the packages I was looking for was not listed in manual select. So I went on thinking I could just grab it off the Net later.

Was this suppose to be the universal question on how I can to get the packages? Because I thought it only applied to only during the installation.

After installing Debian base, I tried 'apt-get install fluxbox' it gives me
Code: Select all
Reading Package List... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package fluxbox

So... What can I do now?
Last edited by dusthaze on 2006-06-10 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
dusthaze

Postby greenhat » 2006-06-09 15:00

did you run this first...

Code: Select all
apt-get update

If still no luck check your /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure your debian repos are enabled.

BTW, fluxbox is great -- using it right now.
greenhat

Postby Lou » 2006-06-09 17:46

# base-config

go to the part that deals with APT and choose ftp or http, choose a repository, say no to the next question
about choosing another repo, go to the prompt:

# apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

# apt-get install fluxbox menu x-window-system-core aterm numlockx

Check the howto Debian Installation with the Netinstaller in the Documentation section of this site, it might answer a few questions.
Lou

Postby dusthaze » 2006-06-09 18:17

Thanks. That did the trick. Now I can access additional packages from the Net.

When I was trying to get fluxbox, I noticed some things like kdebase-bin being part of the 'Suggested packages'.

I am new to Debian. What are these 'Suggested packages'? Are they automatically installed when I do the apt-get?

I am trying to build lite. Therefore, I won't be downloading anything KDE or GNOME.

If I am installing something, say, mplayer. And it automatically comes with gtk. I do not need the GUI, is there a way I can deselect it during apt-get?

I read this:

http://wiki.linuxhelp.net/index.php/Apt-get_Guide

And it mentions no way how I can deselect optional stuff in a package.
dusthaze

Postby Lou » 2006-06-09 23:04

Quote:
"When I was trying to get fluxbox, I noticed some things like kdebase-bin being part of the 'Suggested packages'."

Suggested packages are just suggestions, you don't have to install them if you don't want to. I never do.

Quote:
"I am new to Debian. What are these 'Suggested packages'? Are they automatically installed when I do the apt-get? "

No. You'll have to add them to your original package installation.

Quote:
"I am trying to build lite. Therefore, I won't be downloading anything KDE or GNOME."

Check:
HOWTO: Debian installation with the Netinstaller

it's in the Documentation section of this site, it might answer some of your questions.

Quote:
"If I am installing something, say, mplayer. And it automatically comes with gtk. I do not need the GUI, is there a way I can deselect it during apt-get?"

I've never installed mplayer (i don't have speakers), but it seems to me gtk is optional, usually Debian gives you a choice of apps.
Now iirc, mplayer is installed from the 'unofficial' repos. Do some googling (debian + mplayer), i'm sure there is ample information.
Lou

Return to General Questions