No Sound

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

No Sound

Postby twiggymoo » 2006-06-12 22:51

I've been trying to get sound from the CD player and configuring with alsaconf. I get this message:
Running update-modules...
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/updates/alsa/snd-pda udiocf.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/updates/alsa/snd-vx- cs.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/updates/alsa/snd-vxp 440.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/updates/alsa/snd-vxp ocket.o
Loading driver...
Setting default volumes...

Then it says "have a lot fun".
but it still doesn't work.

What's this mean??

Twiggymoo
twiggymoo

Sound

Postby Light_Tech » 2006-06-13 04:43

I have a couple questions for you to help me understand your question.
1. Are you able to listen to other forms of audio over the sound device (ie. mp3, midi, ra, wav, etc.) ?
2. Is your CD-ROM drive of an ATAPI (IDE/EIDE/SIDE) , SCSI or Other (ie. only supported by the connector(s) on your sound device?

Other questions of intrest could be ...
A. What interface type dose your sound device use (ie. PCI, ISA, EISA, etc.)?
B. Can the drive mount other file systems? (ie. standard type ISO) In other words; Is it usable?
C. Are you trying for a Didigital or an Analog type of use? Didigital is typicaly the defacto std. these days however if you happen to be using a 2.4.x kernel or older it is likely you will have to set it up to use analog instead.
Light_Tech

Postby cyb.nix » 2006-06-13 04:46

"Support your community so your community will be there to support you."

Cool!
cyb.nix

Questions...

Postby twiggymoo » 2006-06-13 13:28

I have a couple questions for you to help me understand your question.
1. Are you able to listen to other forms of audio over the sound device (ie. mp3, midi, ra, wav, etc.) ?
2. Is your CD-ROM drive of an ATAPI (IDE/EIDE/SIDE) , SCSI or Other (ie. only supported by the connector(s) on your sound device?

Other questions of intrest could be ...
A. What interface type dose your sound device use (ie. PCI, ISA, EISA, etc.)?
B. Can the drive mount other file systems? (ie. standard type ISO) In other words; Is it usable?
C. Are you trying for a Didigital or an Analog type of use? Didigital is typicaly the defacto std. these days however if you happen to be using a 2.4.x kernel or older it is likely you will have to set it up to use analog instead.

Light_tech,
I don't have these answers. How can I know this? Yes, I'm a real noob! Maybe 2.6 kernel could resolve this but with dial up I can't download a .deb, already packaged kernel. I did try to manually configure from a download of a .bz2 file but got nowhere.

Regards,
Twiggymoo
twiggymoo

Return to General Questions