Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

using putty to log on to a server behind a router

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ryvers

using putty to log on to a server behind a router

#1 Post by ryvers »

Hi I'm new here!

Before I ask this question, I've allready looked extensily on the web for an anwser to my question, but I couldn't find anything that really helped me further.

This is my situation:

I've just installed debian on an older laptop. Added to that I allready have ssh, apache, python and some other, more basic stuff, on there. My plans were to set up a webserver for a website for my girlfriend and for me to mess arround with.

Here's my question:

how do I log on, using putty on winXP, on my server?

kind regards,

Ryvers

hilldweller

#2 Post by hilldweller »

are you on the same network or is this over the internet?

if its the same, you should just be able to specify the ip address in putty and connect from there...

if its over the internet you'll need to make sure port 22 can get out from subnet a and into subnet b (where the laptop is).

unless i've totally misunderstood your post of course.

epostma

#3 Post by epostma »

Hi Ryvers,

well, you need to know the ip address (or else the fully qualified domain name = FQDN) where you can reach the laptop from your desktop machine. So we need to know how the stuff is all tied together. I assume that this is how you have things installed:

Code: Select all

desktop--+
                  |
             router--internet
                  |
laptop----+
If you don't know the IP address or FQDN of your laptop, you can find it out in one of two ways:
  • either by physically going to it, logging in, and typing

Code: Select all

/sbin/ifconfig
    then noting the number after where it says inet addr. There are probably two occurrences of that, one where it says lo and the number is 127.0.0.1, and one where it says something else, like eth0, and some other address. You want the other address.
  • or by going to the web interface of your router; it can probably give a list of IP addresses that are connected.
Then start putty, enter the address or FQDN into where it says 'server name ' or something like it, and connect. It will ask for your username and password and log you in.

By the way, if this is indeed how the network is set up and you want the web server to be available from the internet, make sure you know how to forward ports from your router to the laptop.

HTH,

ryvers

#4 Post by ryvers »

thanks. The both of you.

But something else, you metioned this:
By the way, if this is indeed how the network is set up and you want the web server to be available from the internet, make sure you know how to forward ports from your router to the laptop.
Can I find something here how I can foward I could forward the nessecary ports from the router? or is this router-specific?

By the way that setup that was drawn by one of you was correct.

hilldweller

#5 Post by hilldweller »

generally router specific.

you should have something in your router config like 'virtual server' setup or 'port forwarding'.

make sure that you set port 80 tcp to go to your internal webservers ip address. then, go to http://www.whatismyip.com to find the external ip address of your router. if you are then out and about you should be able to go to http://youripaddressgoeshere to see your website from anywhere in the world.

basically port forwarding just says to the router, 'if anyone wants to access this type of traffic then send their requests to here...' (in your case, internet traffic on port 80 needs to go to your webserver).

hth

ryvers

#6 Post by ryvers »

thanks!

just another question. I'm trying to upload files (using filezilla) from a windows computer (in the network) to my server(also in the network). But I just can't get it to connect with my server. Should I open a port on my router asswell? And so, how?
I'm quite confused because I can reach it using putty(on that same windows computer).

ajdlinux

#7 Post by ajdlinux »

Is there an FTP server running on the server?

ryvers

#8 Post by ryvers »

duno, don't tell me you need a program like apache for that! Cause I so did not do that!

ajdlinux

#9 Post by ajdlinux »

proftpd is a good one.

Yes, you do need a server running for FTP access. Just remember - a server is a program, not a computer. Don't expect FTP to be automatically set up for you, you need to install it.

ryvers

#10 Post by ryvers »

of course makes sense