Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GDM. how to get into text mode?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Piter_

GDM. how to get into text mode?

#1 Post by Piter_ »

Thats the question. I can chose different window managers but how to login into text mode?

DeanLinkous

#2 Post by DeanLinkous »

Well why install gdm if you want text mode? :D Seriously though why do you want text mode?

I think gdm usually has a terminal session you can choose or maybe a failsafe that I THINK is command line. If not then ctrl-alt-backspace SHOULD bring down X and drop you to a text login.

Kaitlyn

#3 Post by Kaitlyn »

Under the default configuration, you get six text mode consoles while gdm is running. Use the combination CTRL+ALT+F1 through CTRL+ALT+F6 to access them. Return to X using CTRL-ALT-F7.
There are those who say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. I can only observe that those people never had dial-up Internet service. -- Frank Cagle

Piter_

#4 Post by Piter_ »

DeanLinkous wrote:Well why install gdm if you want text mode? :D Seriously though why do you want text mode?

I think gdm usually has a terminal session you can choose or maybe a failsafe that I THINK is command line. If not then ctrl-alt-backspace SHOULD bring down X and drop you to a text login.
Why text mode? Just in case :)
ctrl-alt-backspace dont kill GDM, after few saconds it comes back. :roll:
I'll try filesafe

Piter_

#5 Post by Piter_ »

Kaitlyn wrote:Under the default configuration, you get six text mode consoles while gdm is running. Use the combination CTRL+ALT+F1 through CTRL+ALT+F6 to access them. Return to X using CTRL-ALT-F7.