Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

upgrading debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pears0

upgrading debian

#1 Post by pears0 »

I have just downloaded the stable release of debian woodie on DVD. But after reading up on debian I realised that I should have gotten the testing version. How can I upgrad my ISO image using Jigdo using windows if this is possible?

Thanx in advance.

Edit: I dont mind upgrading once I have installed debian if its easier/quicker

#2 Post by Guest »

If it's already installed, it is easier to just edit /etc/apt/sources.list, change words 'stable' to 'testing' and then atp-get upfate && apt-get upgrade.

pears0

#3 Post by pears0 »

I have yet to install it, but I might b able to get copies of the testing version off a mate yet, so I might not need to upgrade over the net. Will see how it goes, but more info in the mean time would b useful

joepotter

#4 Post by joepotter »

pears0 wrote:I have yet to install it, but I might b able to get copies of the testing version off a mate yet, so I might not need to upgrade over the net. Will see how it goes, but more info in the mean time would b useful
You will be a much happier camper if you just toss what you have so far. Start over and download Sarge and the new installer. If not on broadband, then get it from one of those "100 Cd's for a buck" sites. (slight exaggeration there)

Sarge is modern and the new installer is dead easy. Play with Woody only if you enjoy pain or you are an expert.
Regards, Joe

masonm

#5 Post by masonm »

Piece of cake since you haven't installed yet. Just download the Sarge netinstall image and away you go.
Mason M
Registered Linux User # 382617

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.