Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sell me on Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Taki

#16 Post by Taki »

chestnut1969 wrote:I have just moved back from Ubuntu to Debian
I'm in exactly the same boat. While Ubuntu's certainly easier to install, I find that I learn a lot more with Debian, which is a big thing for me. I'd recommend though that you use something like VMWare Server to experiment with the installation before putting it into production, because it can be quite creepy with all the options and other scary things it puts in front of you.
Mr Flibble's very cross.

ajdlinux

#17 Post by ajdlinux »

Penguin Skinner wrote:The proprietary GUI package manager, called Adept ('Inept' strikes me as more appropriate) is a clunk compared to Synaptic, and there was some proprietary info center or similar that struck me as being just too Windows-like.
They aren't proprietary, adept has recently been added to Debian.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#18 Post by Lavene »

ajdlinux wrote:
Penguin Skinner wrote:The proprietary GUI package manager, called Adept ('Inept' strikes me as more appropriate) is a clunk compared to Synaptic, and there was some proprietary info center or similar that struck me as being just too Windows-like.
They aren't proprietary, adept has recently been added to Debian.
Adept is licensed under the BSD license. So it's not proprietary by default but it does not carry, among other things, the requirement of providing source code when modified and redistributed like the GPL does.

The BSD license is short and sweet but wether it provide freedom or limitations is an ongoing debate in the free software/ open source movements.

The Ubuntu policy does not demand all software to be licensed under the GPL. It does however require the software to be 'free' which usually means the GPL or BSD. They also require that the source code is available for all software maintained by the Ubuntu developers (of course).

So the default Ubuntu installation does not have proprietary software in it, but just as debian they make non-free software available through optional repositories.

Tina

PS: But I agree... Adept leaves alot to be desired.