Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

cups-pdf creates pdfs with garbled text information

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
gradinaruvasile

cups-pdf creates pdfs with garbled text information

#1 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Ok, the title might be confusing.
Now, here is the issue:

I print something with cups-pdf. The pdf appears, it LOOKS as it should, BUT if i actually select text from the pdf viewer and try to paste it somewhere, i get messed up characters (sometimes no characters). So this means that searching too is out of the question i guess.

Why is this happening? I dont know if its a ghostscript issue because on Windows there are several gs based pdf printers and those create perfectly searchable pdfs. Is this a cups/cups-pdf specific issue?

PS Printing through the "Print to file" dialog creates good pdfs but i dont know how to replicate that via command line.

ramack

Re: cups-pdf creates pdfs with garbled text information

#2 Post by ramack »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but curious if you found a resolution. I've had the same issue for quite some time and now have time to try to debug it. Looks like this issue started as early as 2009? Wow...
homemade AMD64, Acer AspireOne 150, Asus eeePC 900, i386; Testing
i386,Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64, Dell Inspiron 1100; Sid
XFCE on all.

gradinaruvasile

#3 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Honestly i started using the "print to file" option. The cups-pdf option is still not working properly (tried on 3 computers). But print to file creates good pdfs.

ramack

#4 Post by ramack »

Yes, print to file as PDF looks great, that's one of the first things that I tried. Then I found Teckk's suggestion below, (post #5) just to test for results and manually converting from ps to pdf via GS produces very good results too.
teckk
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175440557/

I tried a variety of changes in /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf without success, too bad, I like the convenience of using cups-pdf to my specified directory and having the job ID as the leading descriptor. Hopefully a fix will be done, but I'm doubtful since it appears this has been an issue since 2009 or so.

Thanks for responding despite the age of your initial post.
XFCE on all.

ramack

#5 Post by ramack »

ramack wrote:Yes, print to file as PDF looks great, that's one of the first things that I tried. Then I found Teckk's suggestion below, (post #5) just to test for results and manually converting from ps to pdf via GS produces very good results too.
teckk
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175440557/

I tried a variety of changes in /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf without success, too bad, I like the convenience of using cups-pdf to my specified directory and having the job ID as the leading descriptor. Hopefully a fix will be done, but I'm doubtful since it appears this has been an issue since 2009 or so.

Thanks for responding despite the age of your initial post.
I had been using GS for the past couple of years to create, then copy/paste PDFs. Starting a few months ago, GS stopped working in the sense of copying text from the PDF. The only option I've found is a patch that someone wrote, not in the repos.
XFCE on all.