Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Etch: Can't Install Printer

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ray2047

Etch: Can't Install Printer

#1 Post by ray2047 »

I am using Etch with KDE no Gnome installed. This is a new install. If I open "Printers" in the KDE Control Panel I get the message:
Unable to retrieve printer list. Error message received from printer.

Connection to cups server failed.
I use Sarge on my other hard drive and have no problems. I understand I must install Cups before getting it to work. I opened Synaptic on Sarge and made a list of Cups programs I had installed. When I choose these in Etch and try installing using Synaptic I get:
W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 2_i386.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 128.101.240.212 80]
I have tried multiple times in the last two days.

Now I thought it was just a problem of not being able to install CUPs but a Google search seemed to indicate there is also a possible bug with KDE and CUPs in Etch.

Really don't know what to try. Been using Linux for a while but am basically just newbie when it comes to problems like this.

Thanks In Advance

Daylung

#2 Post by Daylung »

I'm also using etch and have the same problem with kde setting up the printer. I was able to get my printer working by configuring with the cups configuration tools you get by going to "localhost:631" in a web browser.

ray2047

#3 Post by ray2047 »

Daylung wrote:I'm also using etch and have the same problem with kde setting up the printer. I was able to get my printer working by configuring with the cups configuration tools you get by going to "localhost:631" in a web browser.
I get "Connection Denied". Thanks for trying.

muskrat

#4 Post by muskrat »

I also have a problem with etch and my printer. I have sarge installed with cups and it works great. But this install is a sarge base upgraded to etch, with just xorg, fluxbox, xdm. Cups sends a signal to the printer which loads a page but then stops and hanges there.

One thing I see wrong on my setup is with sarge I use the driver gimp-print, I've installed it in etch but it doesn't appear in cups list of available drivers to select from.
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

ray2047

#5 Post by ray2047 »

As I wrote in my first post I can't install libscupsimage 2. I really don't know for sure what Cups packages I need. Could this be a part of the problem. I do have cupssys installed.
[

muskrat

#6 Post by muskrat »

I'm not sure what "libscupsimage 2" is or what it does, but do you have LPR installed also. I do know I had that problem before. you can't run LPR and CUPS at the same time. They can both be installed, but if you try and run them at the same time, you'll have problems.

Debian Sarge Installs LPR by default, if you choice print server duing installation it'll install cups, but they both don't run at once.

On my debian etch I don't have LPR installed, just cups. My problem is for some straange reason I'm not getting the gimp-print driver to show up in the list of drivers, and that's the driver I need.

There is a good web site for printing called linuxprinting.org. They have a lot of info about particular printers and PPD files, also CUPS.
Steve - Muskrat

ray2047

#7 Post by ray2047 »

muskrat wrote:I'm not sure what "libscupsimage 2" is or what it does, but do you have LPR installed also. I do know I had that problem before. you can't run LPR and CUPS.
Just checked on Sarge and actually I do have LPR and Cups installed and printing works fine. I'll check on Etch though just in case that's the problem.

Guess I'll just dump Etch for now and stick with Sarge if I can't find a solution. (Kind of itching to try Freespire and I need to free up a drive. Was going to dump Sarge ans switch to Etch for my primary OS but I guess I'll wait.)

muskrat

#8 Post by muskrat »

You can have CUPS and LPR installed the key is they can't both be running at the same time.

I've run into another glich with etch,. sarge has xpdf and CUPS installed at the same time, but when I install xpdf on etch it removes a package called poppler-utils which cupsys is dependant on.

edited post--------------------------

I finally got mine to work. to be honest I'm not sure what I did that was right, because I gave up on cups, uninstalled it due to the conflicts mentioned above.

I installed LPR, then went to LinuxPrinting and proceeded to configure it. They adviced installing several other packages which I proceeded to do, but they weren't all available in .deb.

So I abandon LPR, uninstalled it and reinstalled CUPS, this time I had no conflicts between XPDF and CUPS, after which I had a bunch more drivers available to use, before I always used a gimp-print driver for my printer, this time I used a foomatic driver.

Now it prints better than it ever has.

So if anybody is having problems with thier gimp-print drivers, you might try the foomatic drivers, they made a difference for me. Ok course I have one of the printers LinuxPrinting says barely works with Linux, Thier scale being something like "Works-Perfectly - Works - Barely-Works".
Steve - Muskrat

ralvy

#9 Post by ralvy »

Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf so that the only uncommnented listen line is

Listen *:631